PDA

View Full Version : 2013 vertically compund walls - multiple heights?

LEDO
2012-09-24, 04:53 PM
I could use a little help with this topic please. I have followed the directions by wikihelp and have not been able to achieve this. I want to make a basic wall with a material only below the wainscot. Above the wainscot would be gyp bd with paint. This seems easy enough when I read up on it, but it's not working for me when I go to execute. I'd rather figure this out than create a bunch of basic walls for several versions of stacked walls. (However this has allowed me lots of practice with stacked walls.) Thank you in advance.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-09-24, 06:19 PM
I have an issue with stacked walls except in very specific circumstances. I will almost always advocate modeling 'finishes' and 'cladding' as separate assemblies for these varied conditions.
Rather than repeating myself have a look at the post below. Not necessarily the answer to all your woes but something to consider.
http://www.bimblog.ca/2012/02/less-is-more-more-or-less.html

LEDO
2012-09-24, 07:20 PM
That's a great blog, and that particular mentality should work in my current project but,.... Just for the sake of education... Is it possible to have a wall assembly with one of the finish layers at a lower level than the rest of the assembly? (For example, from the floor and going up: base, paneling, wainscot, painted gyp bd. The paneling only goes as far up the wall as the wainscot.) Is it difficult to create such an assembly? Once created, is it difficult to manage / manipulate?

LEDO
2012-09-24, 07:41 PM
I have done my project in respect to your blog, and it's working very well.... Thank you!

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-09-24, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. Feel free to follow the blog ;)
I'd suggest that the multiple finishes can be managed by creating both finish assemblies and then just altering their base offsets and top offsets. Keep them associated with the correct level but set the top and bottom constraints to match the wall configuration.

Revitaoist
2012-09-24, 10:37 PM
Just for the sake of education... Is it possible to have a wall assembly with one of the finish layers at a lower level than the rest of the assembly?

Yes, in the edit wall structure, with section view open, there is a little lock at the top of the layers. Unlock it, now you can have separate heights for the finish layers.

LEDO
2012-09-25, 01:08 PM
I have tried doing just that several times. I had the adjacent layers unlocked at one time, and the next time, all of the layers were unlocked,,,still unsuccessful. I think I'm just overlooking something, just not sure what.

Revitaoist
2012-09-25, 03:17 PM
only unlock the layer you want separated. Now, in a 3D project view you will see an arrow grip at the top (or bottom, whichever you unlocked) of the wall, grab that grip and move the layer down, now control with top offset in wall properties.

LEDO
2012-09-25, 04:00 PM
I just tried your suggestion in wall type editor. I only unlocked the layer I wanted to adjust the height, and all layers moved in tandem. Wiki help says adjacent layers must be unlocked... I tried that with no luck. I don't even get grip handles. I haven't tried it in 3D mode because I was wanting to make a wall type instead of going back and editing every wall I put into the drawing.

Revitaoist
2012-09-25, 05:07 PM
modify, select the top line in structure edit

LEDO
2012-09-25, 07:13 PM
From the edit assembly dialog box, I select the top horizontal line of the finish layer, (In section view) I then click on the padlock thus unlocking it, I then select the top horizontal line of the desired finish layer and drag it up and down. Every time I drag this top horizontal line, the adjacent layers drag with it. And it doesn't seem to matter weather any or only one layer is locked or not. I have read and tried the steps many many times. I'm new to Revit, so I think there is some checkbox somewhere I'm missing or there is some little trick/tip/nuance which I'm not yet aware of. Thank you for giving your input. I do appreciate it as I couldn't have learned this much without this forum's knowledge.

Revitaoist
2012-09-25, 08:06 PM
After unlocking it in the 'edit structure' mode (do not adjust it in edit structure), go to the project 3D view, select the wall. There should be TWO arrow grips, select the finish GRIP and drag down. You can now control this layer with offset in the parameters. Don't worry, this is one of the more elusive features of Revit.

LEDO
2012-09-25, 08:22 PM
Thank you for the clarification. (I think that little golden nugget of information could be spelled out in Wikihelp better.)

LEDO
2012-09-26, 01:17 PM
Now, in a 3D project view you will see an arrow grip at the top (or bottom, whichever you unlocked) of the wall,

After going back through your posts, Revitaoist, I realize, I just missed an important part of the directions. Sorry and Thank you.