PDA

View Full Version : Massing Problem

sjsl
2005-02-03, 06:34 PM
Could someone please verify that the new massing tools work. I am ready to begin teaching the massing tools to a small group and was going over the tutorial and it won't let me use the void extrusion as indicated in the tutorial. I keep geting an error message a lone void that does not cut anything will be deleted.

I even tried it on another mass to no avail.

brittany.fortin
2005-02-03, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with this tutorial.

Can you please tell us the exact location of the problem?

In this tutorial, any deviation in the previous steps could cause some downstream problems. So that would be my first recommendation; make sure you did everything exactly as described.

If you'd like, post the file here and I'll take a look at it and try to find the source of the problem.

Best Regards,
Autodesk Revit Technical Documentation Team

beegee
2005-02-04, 02:52 AM
Haven't checked the tutorial, but my understanding is that you make a solid mass, than a void mass to cut it before you close the sketch to finish the mass.

Any subsequent void masses must be added in the edit mode of the solid mass. They cannot " stand alone " as void elements can and do in families.

sjsl
2005-02-04, 02:55 AM
Thanks Brittany, I am home now so I can't send the file so here goes.

I followed the directions to the 'T'. In fact I do these tutorials several times because I will be having people learn from these and I will have to answer to them.

Using Massing Tools to Cut Geometry:

I set up the problem exactly the way it shows in 1 trhu 9, but when I click Finish Mass I get the same error message over and over:

"A Mass must have Solid Forms to be in the project. Lone void forms in this Mass that do not cut anything in the family and must be deleted."

I used your exact dimenions to boot.

zanzibarbob7
2005-02-05, 07:50 PM
I get exactly the same error. After creating a mass extrusion I go back in and attempt to create a void extrusion with the same results.

I had been watching the distance learning seminar on mass, in (I assume) 6.1, where they use the "cut mass" option. Seems that the void extusion would replace that command but can't get it to work.

Just when I thought I was making progress----------------

zanzibarbob7
2005-02-05, 09:58 PM
Thanks once again BeeGee,

You must select the mass>(edit) in the options bar>then proceed to complete the void extrusion.