PDA

View Full Version : Ramps - help needed pls

stephanschneller
2012-10-04, 08:26 AM
Hi,

I could really do with some help on ramps.

Ideally I like to model them as slabs which would allow me to attach walls to the soffit.

After some research & unsuccessful 'trial and error' attemps I have moved away from slabs and focused on ramps (which unfortunately dont allow you to attach walls to them)

Nevertheless everything seems to work as predicted for circular ramps (pls refer to attachment).

When taken as section perpendicular to the ramp then the profile is flat (horizontally) and that's what I was trying to achieve.

But as soon as the profile of the ramp changes into an oval shape to ramp twists (refer to attachment)

I also tried to do a sweep along a path which resulted in even more annoying results.

I was wondering whether using adaptive components might be the way forward?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stephan

Alfredo Medina
2012-10-04, 04:10 PM
I made a test as per your second attachment, using the ramp tool, and the section of the ramp kept the horizontal profile, with no problem.

stephanschneller
2012-10-05, 07:20 AM
Hi Alfredo,

Thank you very much, looks good :)

Still dont get why mine has come out differently.

I've attached my model maybe you could have a quick glance at it or upload your model so I could check out the difference?

Many thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Stephan

Alfredo Medina
2012-10-05, 11:29 AM
The difference I see is that your ramp was created with the Boundary tool, as one piece, and without using the Run tool. I used the Run tool, and did 3 separate segments.

stephanschneller
2012-10-05, 11:34 AM
Many thanks Alfredo,

Any chance you could upload your model or send it to me directly?

Also I assume this is only possible with the ramp tool or do you see any chance to achive this with the slab tool?

Cheers,

Stephan

Alfredo Medina
2012-10-05, 11:37 AM
The model is attached in my previous message. I have not tried with the slab tool, but I guess it should be possible, too.
It could be done as a model in-place, or as a family, too, with extrusions and sweeps.

stephanschneller
2012-10-05, 11:39 AM
Thank you.

Stephan