PDA

View Full Version : Wall Construction, Material Takeoffs and Thermal/Substrate Layers

rstavares
2012-10-09, 09:46 PM
I'm attempting to do some detailed material takeoffs based on my wall types but am having an issue with my insulation layer, which I think I'd like to set to a "Thermal/Substrate" layer and assigned the same thickness as the stud layer. However, when I assign the same thickness as the stud layer (which would then allow me to calculate a cost value based on volume) it increases the width of my wall. Is there a way around this? It seems I'm forced to give it a 0" thickness and make it a membrane layer in which case I'll need to create another insulation type and assign that a cost rather than having the cost set per cubic inch and calculated in my schedule. Thoughts?

jsteinhauer
2012-10-10, 06:36 PM
I guess I would question why you're doing your calculations based on volume instead of area. I have done similar take offs, I just assign a different cost per square foot to 1/2" rigid foam vs 1" rigid foam. Are you using the Material Cost parameter?

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Mike L Sealander
2012-10-10, 10:10 PM
Also, you can't get Revit to have a layer that's both studs and insulation between the studs. Either choose to have studs, or choose to have insulation.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-10-11, 07:54 AM
I would suggest creating two materials. One for studs, the other, insulated studs.

cliff collins
2012-10-11, 02:14 PM
You might also explore the use of Parts, and then Scheduling them--this gives you a bit more flexibility for individual components within a compound wall assembly.

jeffh
2012-10-11, 02:24 PM
You might also explore the use of Parts, and then Scheduling them--this gives you a bit more flexibility for individual components within a compound wall assembly.

Don't let the RFO guys catch you talking about using parts. ;-)

cliff collins
2012-10-11, 03:08 PM
yeah--maybe a couple more years and they will "accept" Parts! LOL

rstavares
2012-10-11, 04:27 PM
I guess I would question why you're doing your calculations based on volume instead of area. I have done similar take offs, I just assign a different cost per square foot to 1/2" rigid foam vs 1" rigid foam. Are you using the Material Cost parameter?

Calculating by volume would allow us to not have to create two different material types as you're doing, but it seems like that's what we're stuck with for now.

Also, you can't get Revit to have a layer that's both studs and insulation between the studs. Either choose to have studs, or choose to have insulation.
Unfortunately this seems to be the case.

I would suggest creating two materials. One for studs, the other, insulated studs.
It appears I'll have to. Thanks.

I looked into this but I don't think it would help much as you can't add an insulation layer to the "cavity" of the wall, it thickens the wall instead.

Don't let the RFO guys catch you talking about using parts.
What's RFO?

Thanks for the input, guys.

jeffh
2012-10-11, 06:14 PM
What's RFO?

Inside joke between Cliff and I. It stands for RevitForum.Org http://www.revitforum.org/

rstavares
2012-10-11, 06:22 PM
Another question. You'll notice in this wall type I've created that I have two layers of "Finish:White" that I'm using to identify paint. You'll see in the schedule that the cost is $1.00/sf. I would expect that since I have 2 layers of it it would count it twice but it's not. Any way to get it to do so or will I have to create another "paint" material and assign a cost to it to identify both sides?

edit: forgot the image link:
http://i.imgur.com/8EA7I.png

lisanicholasus785154
2019-09-26, 12:49 PM
Another question. You'll notice in this wall type I've created that I have two layers of "Finish:White" that I'm using to identify paint. You'll see in the schedule that the cost is $1.00/sf. I would expect that since I have 2 layers of it it would count it twice but it's not. Any way to get it to do so or will I have to create another "paint" material and assign a cost to it to identify both sides?

edit: forgot the image link:
https://dir.exporthub.com/industry/builders-hardware.html

Can you please further elaborate about this cost is $1.00/sf step by step.