PDA

View Full Version : SOFFITS

dsw98
2012-10-12, 06:28 PM
Does anyone have any secrets on doing soffits a quick and easy way? I've only done a few over the past few years. The way I'm doing it same long and tedious.
Thanks.

jsteinhauer
2012-10-15, 03:03 PM
I like doing them as ceilings. Create a custom ceiling type for the soffit and name it accordingly.

Best wishes,
Jeff S.

dsw98
2012-10-15, 03:41 PM
Well i'm talking more about the actual creation of the soffit and placing it in the model. I have to add a pitch to the soffit and can only do one side of a gable at a time. Its kind of frustrating.

rudolfweyers346383
2012-10-16, 07:18 AM
Why not do it as a roof?

dsw98
2012-10-16, 02:18 PM
Have you done it as a roof? If I have that model rendered will a roof support a can light like a real soffit does?

damon.sidel
2012-10-16, 02:55 PM
You could create an unhosted can light and nest it into a face-based generic model to host it in any surface.

MikeJarosz
2012-10-17, 06:53 PM
Funny how this topic popped up on a day when I've been asked to do a sloping soffit that is curved in plan! My first thought was a sloping wall. Searching AUGI I discovered that this, like the text editor, is one of the major incapabilities of Revit. There is no way to directly enter a sloping wall. (or battered wall as the historicists would call it) Several work-arounds are suggested, such as mass hosted walls, or roofs and other slope-enabled objects. I'm now thinking of an in-place family using a simple rectangular profile sweep. The profile would be on an angle and the sweep path would be an arc.

Anyone see any potential problems?

damon.sidel
2012-10-17, 07:55 PM
I'm now thinking of an in-place family using a simple rectangular profile sweep. The profile would be on an angle and the sweep path would be an arc.

That's how I would do it.

MikeJarosz
2012-10-17, 09:29 PM
It worked. I did two parallel sides of a corridor/gallery. I still have to do the end and see if it miters.

:shock: As I'm writing this it occurred to me to make one sweep for all four sides!!!! :shock: