PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for a "viewer"

Eric Stewart
2005-02-04, 01:32 PM
The principals in our firm do not use Revit. There is no need to buy two extra seats of Revit if they never use it. Actually, three seats if you count the one PM who never uses Revit either. However, I thick it would be useful for them to be able to "view" our projects much the same way we view the project.

Is AutoDesk developing, planning development, or even thinking about a viewer for project files?

rhys
2005-02-04, 01:45 PM
You don't need a viewer an unregistered copy will run and act as a viewer. Without the ability to save or edit.

blads
2005-02-04, 01:47 PM
If you install your current software in demo mode - it becomes a viewer.
Demo mode allows all features of Autodesk Revit, but you cannot save, plot or export your project after changes are made. Demo mode serves as a no-cost viewer for yourself or team members who need to view, plot, and export projects without changing them.

bowlingbrad
2005-02-04, 01:54 PM
Using the DWF writer, you can create very interactive DWF files that can be viewed by all (who have the free DWF viewer). You can even print sets to any printer!

DWF rocks.

Phil Palmer
2005-02-04, 03:23 PM
And hopefully soon it would be great to have the ability to create 3d DWF files

Eric Stewart
2005-02-04, 04:09 PM
<vox/Homer>D'oh!</vox>

J. Grouchy
2005-02-04, 05:56 PM
You don't need a viewer an unregistered copy will run and act as a viewer. Without the ability to save or edit.

But doesn't that only work for a limited time...like 30 or 60 days?

aaronrumple
2005-02-04, 06:02 PM
Woks as a viewer in demo mode for ever and ever.

If you open a project in demo mode you can print the project. If you change the project while in demo mode you can no longer save or print or export (Just read the Product and License Inpormation dialog....)

hand471037
2005-02-04, 06:04 PM
No. The 'Demo' mode is different from the 'Trial' mode. Demo runs forever, but doesn't let you save or print/export if changes are made (it used to let you print/export if no changes were made, but I don't know if that's still the case). Trial mode is what you're thinking of, which currently runs for 60 days as a full version, but then expires and forces you to either authorize or switch to Demo mode...

'Demo' mode has been in Revit as long as I can remember, I started using it at 3.1, but I think it's always been in there...

J. Grouchy
2005-02-04, 09:49 PM
Yeah...got 'em mixed up. Just workin' from memory here, I don't usually study the Licensing Information page on my breaks.

aaronrumple
2005-02-04, 10:15 PM
I do. ;-) ....

Chad Smith
2005-02-04, 11:10 PM
And hopefully soon it would be great to have the ability to create 3d DWF files
I'd like to be able to create decent looking 2D DWF's (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=9511) first.