PDA

View Full Version : Trim roof with arbitrary angle

MikeJarosz
2012-10-22, 02:40 PM
Help!

Normally I'm able to figure out an approach to a modeling problem, but this one has me stumped. I should know how to do this. It's a basic problem which makes it even more frustrating.

I have a sloped shed roof. (12" generic roof) The front edge needs to be trimmed to follow the line of the wall below. I tried an in-place void and cut-geometry with a solid and neither worked.

In the screen capture below, I want to remove the little triangle at the edge of the dark gray roof.

mthurnauer
2012-10-22, 03:07 PM
I am not sure with your sketch whether I am looking in section or in plan to figure this out. If you are getting a fail message when trying to perform the sweep, it may be that your sketch cannot be locked because the lock forms a circular reference. Another thing may be that you want to make the void larger than just the little triangle that you want to remove. Align the left edge where you want it, but make the right, top and bottom go beyond the necessary limits of the cut.

MikeJarosz
2012-10-22, 03:47 PM
It's a section.

Going beyond the triangle sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try.

MikeJarosz
2012-10-24, 04:28 PM
:Oops: A void can only cut a solid, and has to be in the sketch of that solid. A roof is not a solid, even though the generic 12" roof looks like one. I think I will have to try a fascia.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-10-24, 04:41 PM
Mike,
you should be able to do this with an in-place void. Are you sure you have assigned your in-place void extrusion to the roof category before you try and cut with it?

patricks
2012-10-24, 04:56 PM
ummm wow, doesn't even work in 2012 or in 2013. I made the void, cut the roof with it, but then got an error message when I tried to finish out the in-place family. Error said "Can't regenerate Family Roofs 1. Edit Family to modify it." Gave options to delete type or cancel which takes you back into in-place family edit mode. Crazy.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-10-24, 05:11 PM
Crazy is right. Working for me. The sequence is..
- create your roof
- create in place void extrusion - sketch profile, finish edit mode
- cut geometry - select the roof and the void
- finish model
Volia! (your results may vary, apparently)
If you don't believe me I can send a video :lol:
(Works in 2012 as well as 2013)

MikeJarosz
2012-10-24, 08:11 PM
I see one difference in your procedure. The cut geometry happens after creating the void, but before finish edit. That way, the void and roof can be selected againt each other.

But it still didn't work. (The dark gray is 12" generic roof in section)

MikeJarosz
2012-10-24, 09:45 PM
It worked! Thanks DH.

I had to replace the roof object. Somehow it was made incorrectly. The same procedure worked on the new roof.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-10-24, 10:11 PM
That darn corruption... it's not just limited to politics:lol:
Now all we need to do is get patricks sorted out