PDA

View Full Version : Reporting the thickness of a wall layer in a family

adnamapaul
2012-10-22, 03:03 PM
I'm working on a window family. It would be very useful to be able to report the thickness of the individual host wall layers into the family.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

antman
2012-10-22, 03:17 PM
You can edit the wall type and assign the same structure in the window family. Or are you trying to accommodate placing that window into multiple wall types in the project?

adnamapaul
2012-10-22, 03:37 PM
Exactly - its getting it to work with multiple wall types. It seems only to be possible to report the total thickness of the wall, based on the host wall in the family.

antman
2012-10-22, 03:48 PM
It would be nice if there were a set of 'core boundary' reference planes in the window family template. As far as I know, there isn't even a way to constrain to that... If you have components in your window family that vary in size depending on the structure of the wall, I think the only option is to use separate window families. Maybe someone can chime in here and say I'm wrong. That would be nice.

jsteinhauer
2012-10-22, 03:48 PM
I think if you place a reporting parameter in the window family it will give you the face to face thickness of the wall in which the window is placed. Make sure that the labeled dimension goes to the reference planes of the hosting wall within the window family.

*this was from memory when I created my door families for the office, so I might have something wrong.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

adnamapaul
2012-10-22, 03:57 PM
#jstainhauer, you are partially correct - the labelled dimension must be placed between the wall faces rather than the reference places.
#antman - I'm going to just set up different types within the family to control the variable elements. Its a furstrating workaround (especially for the end user) but the best I can think of for now.