PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Hierarchical FlexGrid control sorting

DarrenYoung
2005-02-04, 05:39 PM
Anyone have any experiance with the Microsoft Hierarchical FlexGrid control?

After reading of it's sort capabilities, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off sorting the record set via SQL (more flexable) then repopulating the control vs sorting it in the control itself?

The end users will be specifying various column combinations to sort by.

Thanx!

richard.binning
2005-02-05, 07:34 AM
Hi Darren,

Interesting thought. How many records, rows, cells will you be filling?
Rows are considerably slower than columns for deleting and adding new records.
If you are only filling 1000 then you probably won't notice a difference, fill 10000 or more and I think you'll be able to start seeing some performance drops.

If you're not averse to 3rd party controls, you might look into the Sgrid control from vbaccelerator.

RLB

DarrenYoung
2005-02-07, 02:38 PM
Thanx for the reply Richard as well as the tip on vbAccelerator.

I usually try to avoid third party controls but in this case it would be ok except that I don't think this control is going to give me the dispaly I'm really looking for which is similar to this format...

ftp://ftp.mcwi.com/pub/misc/flexgrid.gif

Each row will have 17 colums with the last 3 colums allowing for multiple entries per row in a hierarchial fashion list above.

Based on what you know of SGRID would this be possible? Being that SGRID only spports run time design, I'd rather not invest the time into figuring out it's display possibilities if somwone else knows off the top of their head.

Thanx!