PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Walls don't show in section view

stevomatic
2012-10-24, 10:40 PM
I give up.
I have two walls that won't show up an a few sections. There are other walls of the same family which show with no problem. The only unique qualities of these walls seem to be that they have openings cut in them by means of a profile edit. It just so happens that they don't show up in the sections which cut through the openings. So if the section is cut through a portion of the wall that doesn't have the opening it shows up just fine. What am I missing?
Steve

gbrowne
2012-10-25, 03:44 PM
Just going though the obvious things first:

The walls are in the appropriate phase?
They extend high enough?
The section line is the appropriate phase and encapsulates the walls?
Nothing is hidden in view?
No design options?

To check its not some wonky display issue, I'd copy a wall that you are happy with and paste it in somewhere near the problem area just to eliminate that possibility.

damon.sidel
2012-10-25, 04:29 PM
To check its not some wonky display issue, I'd copy a wall that you are happy with and paste it in somewhere near the problem area just to eliminate that possibility.

Or copy a section that shows the wall into the position of the section that doesn't?

stevomatic
2012-10-25, 07:11 PM
No, no. Nothing like that. for example, when I move the section mark to cut a portion of the wall without the opening cut into it it shows up. If I delete the openings it shows up. Deleting everything and recreating it replicates the problem. No sections, callouts or detail that cuts through openings in these walls will display the walls.

damon.sidel
2012-10-26, 01:07 PM
I think screenshots might help.

stevomatic
2012-10-26, 02:04 PM
My Pleasure.

damon.sidel
2012-10-26, 05:49 PM
Have you tried removing the profile? My thought on this is to test if creating a profile causes any wall to become corrupt in this way in this project.

First idea: Why not use an opening instead of a profile?

Second idea: Why not create a single wall and include a chunk of solid geometry for the piece of inner wall? For the construction I see from the screenshots, it looks like you have two walls, which therefore requires the profile or an opening. If it was a single wall construction, you'd just need windows.

stevomatic
2012-10-26, 06:05 PM
Have you tried removing the profile? My thought on this is to test if creating a profile causes any wall to become corrupt in this way in this project.

Already tried that.

First idea: Why not use an opening instead of a profile?

Already tried that.

Second idea: Why not create a single wall and include a chunk of solid geometry for the piece of inner wall? For the construction I see from the screenshots, it looks like you have two walls, which therefore requires the profile or an opening. If it was a single wall construction, you'd just need windows.

I am not clear as to what you are suggesting here but the inner wall must go down to the floor while the opening in the outer wall is 6" higher.

damon.sidel
2012-10-29, 01:18 PM
I am not clear as to what you are suggesting here but the inner wall must go down to the floor while the opening in the outer wall is 6" higher.

I'm just suggesting that you don't need two walls. Just one wall with a window. The sill of the window would be at 6", if that is what the opening needs to be. Attached is a quick version of what I am talking about. I didn't spend much time on the window family, but I think it gets the idea across.

stevomatic
2012-10-31, 01:14 AM
Just thought I'd let you know that this method worked. I had been trying to avoid it in order to resolve the problem. I'm disappointed that no solution to the original condition exists. Thanks for the suggestions ans interest.

damon.sidel
2012-10-31, 12:54 PM
Glad it works. I understand why you'd want to try to resolve the problem, but at a certain point it becomes purely academic. Out of curiosity, is the one-wall or two-wall version more accurate to construction? I ask because that's usually my guide as to how to model things. If two wall, then very disappointing that we couldn't solve the problem. If one-wall, then I'd say let's forget the glitch ever happened. :)

stevomatic
2012-11-03, 02:15 AM
One wall, double-stud with unlocked layers to adjust as needed. The windows were curtain-wall based consisting on windows as well as another wall type. So one wall with an asterisk I suppose. The documents read as one anyways.