PDA

View Full Version : Exterior walls joined...but doesn't show in Elevations...HELP I NEED TO MEET A DEADLINE! :)

chris_3302
2012-11-02, 07:54 PM
I have a deadline this evening...and of course i'm running into issues. I have attached an image of a 3d view of the problem. I have a first floor wall going up to the top plates level, a 1'-2-3/4" gap for my floor system and another wall above it (Aligned perfectly) and have taken the stucco extension minus 1'-2-3/4" and joined both walls. In section the materials mesh and there are no lines separating these walls. But in 3d view and elevations, the line shows up. These walls are perfectly aligned on top of each other. materials are joined. floor system is joined as well. A little guidance would be much appreciated. Let me know if any further clarification is needed.87777

antman
2012-11-02, 08:01 PM
Sometimes the Linework tool is your only friend, especially in a looming deadline. Do any of the walls have profile edits?

chris_3302
2012-11-02, 08:05 PM
"linework tool," meaning put a filled region or something to cover up the line in elevation? No wall profile edits on these walls. The top wal is attached to the roof, but that's it.

cliff collins
2012-11-02, 08:11 PM
Modify>Linework>Invisible Lines

cdatechguy
2012-11-02, 08:55 PM
Or just type LW....there will be a new panel that shows up...

renogreen
2012-11-02, 09:29 PM
Just a suggestion for future reference. For a wall that goes all the way up multiple levels, like those exterior walls do, I model them as one wall rather than two walls on top of each other. It eliminates problems like this as well as numerous other problems you will have when having to make changes to those walls.

chris_3302
2012-11-02, 10:49 PM
Just a suggestion for future reference. For a wall that goes all the way up multiple levels, like those exterior walls do, I model them as one wall rather than two walls on top of each other. It eliminates problems like this as well as numerous other problems you will have when having to make changes to those walls.

I wish it could be that simple. :( But if you are using Revit for a BIM model, rather than just getting a good model to get the job done, having seperate walls is a must. For coordination and clashing, you must draw two walls on top of each other.

I spoke with the BIM coordinator and he said having the fines will be fine for right now...

Now to get the model complete to meet this deadline. Thanks for all the input all. :)

gbrowne
2012-11-05, 12:18 PM
I wish it could be that simple. :( But if you are using Revit for a BIM model, rather than just getting a good model to get the job done, having seperate walls is a must. For coordination and clashing, you must draw two walls on top of each other.

This is an interesting comment. Could you possibly expand on it?

renogreen
2012-11-05, 04:26 PM
I wish it could be that simple. But if you are using Revit for a BIM model, rather than just getting a good model to get the job done, having seperate walls is a must. For coordination and clashing, you must draw two walls on top of each other.

Been using Revit since 2004...have done lots of coordination and clashing and I have never heard such a thing.

damon.sidel
2012-11-05, 04:32 PM
I think it is all about how the building is constructed and what information you need to get from the model, right? If you are creating wall schedules that show base and top locations, you'll need each wall to be modeled exactly as it will be built. The example posted here looks like residential. Let's say it is stud-wall construction, so each wall would go from floor to floor in most cases, not multiple levels.

Personally, on most of the projects I've worked, we don't need to do wall schedules that report this type of information, so we do multi-level walls. However, sometimes you need to follow the construction logic to get the information you need. All depends on how accurate to the construction you need the model to be IMHO.

patricks
2012-11-05, 09:29 PM
I have done separate walls on top of one another, and I have done single walls going up multiple stories. I think it really depends on the building and the design, i.e. whether there are various wall sweeps, etc. where you might not want to have two different wall types for each floor level because one has sweeps and the other doesn't (or has different sweeps). You might want that all in one wall.

I have also run into the same issue as OP's on a number of occasions, and yes I also found that the only solution seems to be linework in elevations where it shows up.