PDA

View Full Version : Floor Plan

wally-james511635
2012-11-03, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,

I am constructin an apartment block which is 40 levels high. I spent the entire day inserting furniture on all my levels. It wasnt until i got to the 32nd floor that my file started to slow down, even though it is only 120 mb. The problem i have now is that it takes minuts just to open up a single floor plan. I need all furniture sets in the project as i am producing a floor to ceiling 3d axonometric. Feedback will be greatly appeciated.

regards

damon.sidel
2012-11-03, 05:11 PM
Do you need furniture in ALL your units or are you just doing it for each unit type? We use all 2D furniture, plumbing fixtures, electrical equipment, etc. for the unit layouts (I'm currently working on a 70 story condo building). We have about 410 units, all fully furnished this way and everything is fine. In fact, our file size is huge, 450MB, but moving around in 3D is fine. We've found that file size and how the model performs are not directly related.

I'd recommend 2D furniture everywhere except where you actually need to see it.

Another thing you might try: put all the geometry for your furniture on a subcategory, something like "3D Geometry" and draw 2D symbolic lines in plan. Turn off the 3D Geometry subcategory in all views except those you absolutely need it. I don't know if this will lighten the load because I don't know if your slowdown is an on-screen rendering issue or an overall model resource management issue. If the former, the 3D Geometry subcategory should work. If the latter, it's just too much information.

Final thought: have 2D and 3D versions of everything. Keep them in your library in different folders but with the same file name. Keep the 2D version in your model most of the time. Load the 3D version when you need to generate the 3D axon. This seems quite clunky and would be a temporary fix, but if all you need is presentation material occasionally, this might serve.

cliff collins
2012-11-05, 05:05 PM
We always create a separate Revit model with ONLY the Furniture in it, and Link it into the Main model using Shared Coordinates.

The Linked Furniture Model is loaded into the Main model on its own Workset as well, then assigned to View Templates.

cdatechguy
2012-11-05, 05:10 PM
The only limitation in creating a separate model for furniture is if you create furniture schedules with room information.

damon.sidel
2012-11-05, 07:20 PM
We always create a separate Revit model with ONLY the Furniture in it, and Link it into the Main model using Shared Coordinates. The Linked Furniture Model is loaded into the Main model on its own Workset as well, then assigned to View Templates.

This is a great idea! How do you place/move the furniture as you update the main model? Can you link the main model into the furniture model as an overlay or something?

cliff collins
2012-11-05, 07:24 PM
Yes--we turn on the Main model in the Furniture model to show "context". You must be sure Shared Coordinates are set up correctly as well.