PDA

View Full Version : 2013 how to create breakaway 3D wall detail - shingles

vance.smith
2012-11-09, 07:13 PM
I've been tasked with creating a 3D wall detail where the layers of wall are pulled back.

I understand how to do this with the wall assemblies, the trick I'm having problem with is showing the shingles properly. specifically the gaps. I could use sweeps to create the beveled parts of the shingles but would there be a way to show layers of the shingles broken away?

I've attached some sketches I pulled from the internet that sort of show how I want to show the shingles.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

contact.andrewk968454
2012-11-09, 07:27 PM
For details of that nature, I'd just model them out in the family editor and control the pull-aways with voids.

cliff collins
2012-11-09, 09:17 PM
You could try using Parts, which will allow you to drag the shape handles of each "layer" of a compound wall, floor or roof assembly.

jeffh
2012-11-09, 09:32 PM
Parts is the way to go. You can even subdivide parts and hide portions as you wish.

cliff collins
2012-11-09, 09:51 PM
Just don't tell a certain someone over at RFO......

bbeck
2012-11-09, 10:43 PM

HAH!:roll:

cdatechguy
2012-11-09, 10:49 PM
What? Who?

vance.smith
2012-11-13, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the replies - I agree that parts is the way to go but not sure if it goes far enough.

For the shingle layer - I'm needing to break away a few of the shingles - whole, not just a slice.
My gut is telling me I'm going to need to model each shingle in order to do this??

Or.... take the shingle 'part' and sub-divide it with model lines created from a hatch pattern of a shingle face. Then 'hide in view' the shingles that i don't want shown. A bit time consuming but if it's for just a small area, not that bad.

patricks
2012-11-14, 03:05 PM
Honestly, that sort of thing looks like a "standard" detail and is something I would probably do 2D in a drafting view. Unless that detail will change on every project, I think you will spend more time trying to make it in the 3D environment, and trying to get it to show the detail you want it to, rather than just drafting it.

What is the gain of having such breakaway details in 3D? Seems like overkill to me. Just my opinion, though.