PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Revit viewer options

MikeJarosz
2012-11-26, 09:48 PM
We have implemented the Revit server between two remote offices, and are happy with the results. However, we have a third location we would like to connect to the mother ship. There is only a single project manager, and he does not need to create any work, just view what the other locations have created. He has been using TrueView, and I suggested Revit in trial mode, which reverts to a viewer after the 30 day trial expires. In the course of researching options, I discovered an Australian blogger's viewer links. One of the reader's comments to this blog was from our own Scott Davis. He suggested using Project Vasari as a viewer.

I have looked briefly at Vasari, mostly because of the Python capability, but it never occurred to me that it might be a used as a super-capable file viewer. The Vasari website indicates that the Lab version is ended and it's in a free Beta version now. What will the future bring if we decide to use it as a viewer? Will it be canceled? Will it suddenly cost a lot of $$$?

Anyone have suggestions for a remote Revit file viewer?

jseck
2012-12-07, 02:14 PM
What about Autodesk Design Review? It's free, easy to use. That would allow him to view both sheets and the 3D model.

JonTheBIMGuy
2012-12-11, 03:13 PM
In my experience design review is a little clunky, and has issues. You often get errors, and file size can be an issue. I haven't used it myself, but buzzsaw might be worth looking into.

gbrowne
2012-12-13, 11:04 AM
Can you not still use Revit as a viewer? Download it and don't register it.