PDA

View Full Version : Revit and Archicad

jcapp
2005-02-08, 05:00 PM
I have a few questions regarding Revit and Archicad.

I am starting to evaluate revit 6 for our small structural engineering firm, and I my first question is if I change the depth of a beam on a plan will revit actually change the depth of that beam in section, and adjust the secondary structural features, ie deck, angles, braces, cmu, etc.?

Also could I open archicad files with Revit? (i Think I already know the answer, but I have to ask). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Joe Capp

BAKER, INGRAM & ASSOCIATES
S T R U C T U R A L E N G I N E E R S

Joseph P. Capp
CADD Designer
ph 717.290.7400 fax 717.290.7402
8 N. Queen Street, Suite 212 Lancaster, PA 17603
jcapp@bakeringram.com
www.bakeringram.com

Scott D Davis
2005-02-08, 05:05 PM
The Revit Structures package is rumored to be coming soon, so not many of us know about what it may include. Your best bet is to contact Nicolas Mangon at Autodesk. He is the Revit Structures Product Chairperson.

Prodev75
2005-02-08, 05:18 PM
Ouch.
(IMO)This maybe a good thing.

What do you guys think?

sjsl
2005-02-08, 08:23 PM
First, forget 6.1, old technology evaulate 7.0.

Yes, it will change the beam in section.

what is the error box coming from? what are you trying to do?

Prodev75
2005-02-08, 09:07 PM
I have a few questions regarding Revit and Archicad.

I am starting to evaluate revit 6 for our small structural engineering firm, and I my first question is if I change the depth of a beam on a plan will revit actually change the depth of that beam in section, and adjust the secondary structural features, ie deck, angles, braces, cmu, etc.?

1. If you change the beam in plan Will it change in section?
-----Yes---
---- and everywhere else in the project

2. Will it adjust the secondary structural features, deck, angle, etc

----the image I posted before showed what happened when I constrainted (2) beams.
the dimension was an attempt to lock the beams together so that the bottom beam would move down if i modified the top beams depth----

My question: Is this good or bad that these structural element act this way?

And yes sjsl is correct. Try 7.0. Its great

jcapp
2005-02-08, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate the support, unfortunately revit 6 was sent to me free, and I have not looked around yet for a free demo of revit 7.

Below is a typ section i deal with, if I change that w16 to a w24, can i safely assume the cmu, shear anchor, and brace will adjust accordingly?

The other thing i was wondering about is regarding revit and archicad, we will likely buy only one, can revit work with archicad drawings, (i am guessing not) but i don't know.

thanks
joe

sfaust
2005-02-08, 10:32 PM
you can download a free demo of 7.0 on the autodesk website at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3106396&linkID=3770209 Click "Download Revit".

Revit will not work directly with ArchiCAD drawings, but ArchiCAD will export to .dwg, and Revit will import that. As far as I know it won't really work with the actual model, i.e. it won't transfer walls to walls, etc.

dg
2005-02-08, 10:33 PM
From a relative newbie, after trialling both packages I went with Revit as it was much easier to learn and start producing drawings. ArchiCad had a few more features and better rendering, but the learning curve was steeper.

But this is from an architectural perspective, I don't know if it remains true if you will be doing mainly structural work.

You would have to convert drawings to dwg files for importing, so some ArchiCad data may be lost in the import

barathd
2005-02-08, 10:48 PM
JC:

I do a lot of free lance structural drafting - in its present state IMHO Revit 7 is nothing to jump up and down about when it comes to its structural capabilities - pretty limited. You will go insane trying to model a complicated large structure - structurally. What Revit 8 or Structural will bring no one knows.

I for one don't expect any miracles - usually takes minimum 4 to 5 releases for anything to amount to much. Hope I am proved otherwise so for the time being my structural drafting and detailing is still being done in 2D Autocad.

I'm sort of curious when we might start to see a "web-release" or some "teasers" as we did with Revit 7?

Regards

FK
2005-02-08, 11:02 PM
I for one don't expect any miracles
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-02-09, 12:35 AM
Speaking of teasers Fedor ;-)

Not being a structural engineer I won't speak with too much authority but the demos shown at AU in December lead me to believe that Fedor and the rest of the factory crew have got some stuff up their sleeves that will be impressive period, first release or not. If they put half as much thought into the approach of thinking like a structural engineer as they did to thinking like an architect I have no doubt they will not disappoint.

adegnan
2005-02-09, 04:34 AM
I for one don't expect any miracles - usually takes minimum 4 to 5 releases for anything to amount to much.

No offense, Dick, but you are sometimes more pessimistic and harder to please than many other people. But you provide perspective as well. I look forward to the advances, and the few short years since version 1 have gone very quickly for me.

papurajx
2005-02-09, 06:26 AM
Also could I open archicad files with Revit?

I for one, don't expect this miracle to happen, either !!!!

GuyR
2005-02-09, 07:07 AM
I for one, don't expect this miracle to happen, either !!!!

I don't know... If Autodesk give Revit IFC import/export then at least the basics will be capable of being read.

Guy