PDA

View Full Version : Improve Measurements In Navisworks

Wish List System
2012-12-03, 02:38 PM
Summary: I would like the ability to have a default UCS that aligns with the column grid and the ability to create a new UCS to allow accurate measurements to be taken.

Description: Currently if you try to get a measurement from say the floor to the bottom of a pipe, the measurement is not taken perpendicular to the floor. It seems to pick arbitrary points or along the view angle which is almost never perpendicular to what you want to measure. The ability to maybe select a surface as the 0 elevation and take spot elevations much like Revit can do would be very helpful. The ability to snap to the bottom of clyndrical objects like pipes and ducts would also help improve this function within Navisworks Manage.

Product and Feature: Navisworks Manage - Measuring

Submitted By: CHRIS GROCHOWSKI on 12/03/2012

Wish List System
2012-12-03, 02:39 PM
Improve Measurements In Navisworks

Summary: I would like the ability to have a default UCS that aligns with the column grid and the ability to create a new UCS to allow accurate measurements to be taken.

Description: Currently if you try to get a measurement from say the floor to the bottom of a pipe, the measurement is not taken perpendicular to the floor. It seems to pick arbitrary points or along the view angle which is almost never perpendicular to what you want to measure. The ability to maybe select a surface as the 0 elevation and take spot elevations much like Revit can do would be very helpful. The ability to snap to the bottom of clyndrical objects like pipes and ducts would also help improve this function within Navisworks Manage.

Submitted By: CHRIS GROCHOWSKI on 12/03/2012

UnusualHabit
2013-01-10, 03:07 PM
Could not agree more! The measuring system is definitely limited.

The shortest distance tool is very useful for getting quick relative heights and distances from horizontal and vertical planes, however I wish I could have the option to choose one of the points to measure a shortest distance from. Sometimes the shortest distance is taken from the wrong point on a piece of geometry and I cant do anything about it.

Also the 'measure' dropdown display allows you to get overall elevations relative to project 0,0,0. This option wasn't obvious at all though and elevations are so key! In-fact all those drop down options evaded me for months

Measuring individual objects needs to be improved. Sometimes I want a pipe length or diameter or a duct width, and unless for some reason your pipe guy or tin knocker is using revit (haven't seen it yet!) the properties menu, which is presumably supposed to play this role, is basically useless for this. There needs to be some way of quickly measuring geometry of dumb objects, so i don't look dumb when someone asks me for the width of a pipe and i spend minutes trying to approximate the outer-most edge to get an accurate diameter.

sbrennan
2013-11-23, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure what you guys use, but the Measure Tools will show you DELTA X, DELTA Y, or DELTA Z, meaning THE DIFFERENCE in X, Y, or Z, all independent of one another, while still giving the absolute distance from two points.

Wish List System
2015-12-05, 07:55 PM
Improve Measurements In Navisworks

Submitted By: chris.grochowski on 12/03/2012