PDA

View Full Version : Multi family Project Unit Types

dwvaughan559539
2012-12-11, 02:28 AM
Getting ready to start a multi family in revit 2013 and wanted to know how everyone is doing unit types? In the past I linked in the unit types, but managing the envelope and demising walls were a task. Also tagging and scheduling was a challenge. Is group a better way to manage unit types?

jonszcz
2012-12-11, 10:50 PM
I typically have used groups, but there weren't that many units to manage. How many units are you anticipating?

I've wondered if the named positions would be a better way of dealing with units, but I haven't explored it too much. The thought would be that you model the unit once, then place it multiple times with multiple named positions (ala campus planning). Don't know if it would work though.

To answer your question, I'd start with groups.

irneb
2012-12-12, 06:04 AM
Just watch out with groups when you copy / mirror the units. Be very pedantic to not draw on a plane set to something which is going to be outside the group (except for the view's origin plane). Otherwise parts of the group tends to stick and the group gets mangled when copied / rotated / mirrored.

What I've found previously (hotel guestrooms, being highly duplicated, rotated and mirrored) it's better to group only the internals of the rooms and do the walls & doors in a different way. Especially with stuff which is attached betweeen groups - e.g. an interleading door between two duplicated rooms causes huge issues.