PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Modify Stair Railings at Top of Run for connecting to a Roof

Chuckyd67
2012-12-17, 03:24 PM
I have searched the forum and cannot believe I am the first to extend a stair to a roof hatch. At any rate, we need for the stairs to continue to the roof hatch opening, but the railings need to stop below the roof deck, while still providing a legal guard rail. Is there any way to do this other than shortening the rail? I would like to turn the top rail, hand rail, and mid rail to run horizontally under the roof deck and connect to the stringer.

Can a baluster be placed horizontally as a work around?

patricks
2012-12-17, 05:42 PM
That may be one of those odd situations where you may have to model components in-place to make it do what you want, if you can't manipulate the railing itself. I know in my 8 1/2 years using Revit I have run stairs up to a roof hatch a grand total of one time, and I probably used masking region sketches in the stair section details to make the rails look correct.

Chuckyd67
2012-12-26, 04:21 PM
I found a video somewhere that would allow curtain walls to be used as rails, and would allow the top rail to slope. However, when I tried that trick, the top did slope, but the top border became disconnected, and it was useless.

Are there any other work arounds?