PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Adding a landing at the base of a stair.

theoryshaw
2012-12-17, 05:15 PM
Seems like it should be a simple task, but for the life of me, i can't understand why i can't add a landing at the base of this stair...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7117445/temp/stair.rvt

Always gives me the following error when i try to add the landing.

"Stair run or landing has invalid parameter(s)"

Any suggests on what i'm doing wrong?

Revit-2013.

cliff collins
2012-12-17, 05:17 PM
Try just using a Floor instead of a "landing".

irneb
2012-12-18, 10:17 AM
Try just using a Floor instead of a "landing".I hate this ... but unfortunately it's the only thing which seems to work easily. Otherwise you'd have to model it in place.

theoryshaw
2012-12-18, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys, that's what i figured. It just felt so unbelievably counter intuitive that Revit wouldn't provide this functionality that I had to ask, just to check my sanity.

cliff collins
2012-12-18, 05:39 PM
Actually, it is pretty intuitive IMO. Stairs begin at a Floor. In most cases, they then go to an intermediate Landing, and up to the next Floor. So--having a Landing at the base is a bit--counter-intuitive. What exactly is a "Landing"--in reality it is a Floor. Just my 2 c worth.

irneb
2012-12-20, 05:28 AM
Actually, it is pretty intuitive IMO. Stairs begin at a Floor. In most cases, they then go to an intermediate Landing, and up to the next Floor. So--having a Landing at the base is a bit--counter-intuitive. What exactly is a "Landing"--in reality it is a Floor. Just my 2 c worth.To take such analogy further, why then can't a stair and floor join to make for clean sections? You always need some filled region to make it look correct (especially with RC stair & slab). And in nearly all FE stair shafts the landings are a bit different to the slab outside the shaft (e.g. different screed thickness), so you always need a new floor type for stair landings.

Though I have run into situations where a top landing is not actually the same as the floor, but rather an "extended" tread. The only problem is that the tread is not as easy to edit as a landing is, and it's not something I trust to stay as I've drawn it (its influenced by the height of the stair too much). For bottom landings this is impossible, and yes I've run into a situation where the bottom "landing" is a timber-on-steel "bridge" over a water feature - so it's not a floor but the same structure as the rest of the stair. I needed to do exactly what you suggested (make a new floor type for this, duplicating all the stuff which was already part of the stair and drawing all sorts of detail lines & filled regions in all sections going through the stair - this is what's UN-intuitive IMO).

darrell.badger
2013-01-30, 10:39 PM
I am looking for this solution. My stairs are fabricated industrial stairs. ALL of my stairs above grade level have a lower landing and an upper landing. This eases the assembly inthe field by bolting directly into the support steel. Not having even a short landing makes this assembly awkward. I not only need the deck to join but the stringers to go with it.

jontramos
2013-03-12, 03:33 PM
Actually, it is pretty intuitive IMO. Stairs begin at a Floor. In most cases, they then go to an intermediate Landing, and up to the next Floor. So--having a Landing at the base is a bit--counter-intuitive. What exactly is a "Landing"--in reality it is a Floor. Just my 2 c worth.

I hate replies like this one. The tone of of the reply is so condescending, and based solely on assumptions.

Anyway, I have a similar landing situation as the original poster. We are rehabing a parking structure to make the stairs ADA compliant, and as a result we are replacing the steel pan stairs within an existing shaft. Due to the sloping terrain, the level heights are inconsistent, and this new stair has some strange landing configurations and triple runs. I really wish I could add a landing at the bottom of one of my stairs instead of faking it with a floor.

Alfredo Medina
2013-03-12, 05:51 PM
...Always gives me the following error when i try to add the landing. "Stair run or landing has invalid parameter(s)"

In Revit 2013, if the stairs was made with "Stair by component", it is possible to add a landing at the base of the stair. Select the stair > Edit sketch > Landing tool > Sketch. Set the "Relative height parameter" to be same height of the risers of the stair. The landing cannot be at elevation 0 because the parameter refers to the top of the landing. By making it the same height of the riser, the landing can be created. You still need to edit the railings, to remove some segments, of course, because Revit applies a railing to all the boundary of the landing. Also, there might be a warning about some elements losing continuity, which might refer to the landings or to the stringers, who knows. The error dialogue box is not very talkative, you know. :) But the error can be ignored, and the landing can be created.

I hate replies like this one. The tone of of the reply is so condescending, and based solely on assumptions.

I don't see any condescending tone in Cliff's response. His comment makes perfect sense to me. It is not common to need to add a landing to the base of a stair. However, in this thread we have learned that there are cases in which such landing is necessary, or even required. OK, no problem. Now we know how to do it.

damon.sidel
2013-03-12, 06:03 PM
We all know the stair tool is imperfect. It's always frustrating but griping about it won't allow us to model our stairs any better. So let's talk about solutions.

We've covered the floor solution.

Alfredo covered the 2013 solution.

I've occasionally use an extra-stair-as-landing solution. I create a stair with an extra tread as the bottom landing and offset the base. Pros include keeping it all it one family so the construction matches. It cleans up joints between the landing and the stair for things like RC stair and slab types, too. Cons include that riser heights are usually not round numbers, so offsetting it is often tricky/imprecise. Furthermore, if you want a top and bottom landing, they can't overlap in plan... before 2012 at least.

Does anybody have an alternative solution?

Duncan Lithgow
2015-04-21, 10:16 AM
Using the Assembled stair you can adjust you 'Construction > Extend below riser base' for the run to make space for a bottom landing. Then you can have supports continue under the landing.

What I haven't worked out is how to get the Middle supports to continue under the top landing (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?161382-Why-are-my-stair-middle-supports-not-continuing-under-my-top-landing)...