PDA

View Full Version : 2013 purging the warnings list

MikeJarosz
2012-12-18, 04:16 PM
Is there a way to clean up the warnings after correcting them? I had a number of overlaid room lines. After fixing them, I noticed the warning remained. Do I have to manually delete each warning after correction?

cliff collins
2012-12-18, 09:50 PM
The warnings should be removed after fixing them.

MikeJarosz
2012-12-18, 10:43 PM
Sorry. The same line appeared in more that one warning.

jsteinhauer
2012-12-19, 09:25 AM
'Well there's your problem.'
'You'll have that.'
Sorry I had to share my favorite quotes that pertain to this thread. This is why I wish there was an overkill command in Revit. So I can quickly delete overlapping lines and make them cleaner... Well 'Overkill' and a better Text editor. Nuff said

Cheers,
Jeff S.

MikeJarosz
2012-12-19, 03:44 PM
I would love to offer my experience to Autodesk regarding cleanup. Long before Revit, long before Acad, Microstation, VersaCad and whatever, there was SOM DRAFT. It had commands to delete duplicate elements [entities], delete overlaid elements [overlaps], convert colinear lines, convert coplanar polygons [overlapping polygons], delete lines length null, scale z-coords to zero [flatten] and more. And, the commands worked with symbols [blocks] and in full 3D, globally. I could take a drawing with thousands of 3D lines whizzing in every 3D direction in space and reduce it to a single flat line in less than 3 commands.

My point is not to brag, DRAFT is long dead, but to point out that Autodesk (AD) has no monopoly on CADD innovation. Because AD hasn't done it doesn't mean that an algorithm or feature should be ignored. Revit itself was someone else's idea!!! Certainly, the object-oriented nature of Revit mitigates some of the drawing-oriented nature of linework cleanup tools, but the very idea of drawing cleanup has always been an orphan to AD. Overkill is an example of how Autodesk views cleanup. When it first appeared late in the life of Acad, it was an optional tool. It was a lisp routine that could be listed and altered by the user, an add-on rather than hard-wired code inside the Acad .exe file. It frequently froze and rarely caught everything, and didn't work at all within blocks.

Imagine what could be if AD got their Revit programmers together and asked them to come up with the best cleanup routine they could imagine!

Steve_Bennett
2012-12-19, 10:38 PM
Is there a way to clean up the warnings after correcting them? I had a number of overlaid room lines. After fixing them, I noticed the warning remained. Do I have to manually delete each warning after correction?
If the warning remains, the problem hasn't been fixed. If you note the element ID listed in the warning list and use the Select by ID (same toolbar/panel), you can often find the other elements it is interacting with and get a better understanding of the problem. If you feel the warning has been eliminated, but select the element again and the warning icon appears on the ribbon, you will still have a warning in the warning dialog.

Also, I've thought about a tool like overkill in Revit and I've come to the conclusion it would be a very, very bad thing - especially in the hands of an inexperienced Revit user. Take a common warning: "Room separation line and wall overlap." Overkill would remove one element and keep the other. If it removes your wall, what happens to all the walls hosted items, equality constraints you've established, copy/monitor ongoing with consultants, etc.? If it removes the room separation line, what happens to the other rooms that were bound by line?

jsteinhauer
2012-12-20, 03:17 PM
Steve,

In ACAD, there are check boxes for determining what is an overlap and what isn't. In Revit, there could be 50 Detail lines stacked atop one another for one reason or another. To leave them there, adds to the file size. To clean them up would improve performance. In all honesty, a keyboard or a mouse in the wrong hands is a dangerous, but it doesn't mean they should not be in existence.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

MikeJarosz
2012-12-20, 03:29 PM
You are correct about room separation lines. As I said above "Certainly, the object-oriented nature of Revit mitigates some of the drawing-oriented nature of linework cleanup tools". The cleanup of a Revit drawing is likely to be a very different animal from Acad overkill, but that doesn't mean nothing can be done to clean up a messy Revit model. The nature of software design is to catch every condition that could cause the software to fail, and test, test and test.

I hadn't thought that the warning remained because the condition hadn't been completely corrected. Being a frustrated programmer, I should have known that.

Steve_Bennett
2013-01-16, 09:29 PM
Steve,

In ACAD, there are check boxes for determining what is an overlap and what isn't. In Revit, there could be 50 Detail lines stacked atop one another for one reason or another. To leave them there, adds to the file size. To clean them up would improve performance. In all honesty, a keyboard or a mouse in the wrong hands is a dangerous, but it doesn't mean they should not be in existence.

Cheers,
Jeff S.True, I hadn't been thinking of detail views, in fact that's where a cleanup type tool would rock. Especially in a sketch mode where you are trying to finish the sketch of say a floor and it has a microscopic gap sitting somewhere...

You are correct about room separation lines. As I said above "Certainly, the object-oriented nature of Revit mitigates some of the drawing-oriented nature of linework cleanup tools". The cleanup of a Revit drawing is likely to be a very different animal from Acad overkill, but that doesn't mean nothing can be done to clean up a messy Revit model. The nature of software design is to catch every condition that could cause the software to fail, and test, test and test.

I hadn't thought that the warning remained because the condition hadn't been completely corrected. Being a frustrated programmer, I should have known that.Similar to wall cleanup issues in AutoCAD Architecture, I've actually chased a warning around a group of model elements only to end up with the warning back on the element I started with - no fun...

:beer::beer:

MikeJarosz
2013-01-16, 10:57 PM
True, I hadn't been thinking of detail views, in fact that's where a cleanup type tool would rock. Especially in a sketch mode where you are trying to finish the sketch of say a floor and it has a microscopic gap sitting somewhere...

A simple fix would be for Revit to close the gap, no matter how big it is. Closing a big gap would expose the source of the problem because it would most likely result in an obvious diagonal that would be easy to find and fix. Closing a tiny gap is probably a trivial issue. How much of a difference would it make, except for the time spent searching for it? And the fix could require confirmation if it should matter for some reason. Revit decided long ago that some distances are too short to matter. Have you received the warning "line is too small"?

Always happens when I'm doing aluminum extrusions!