PDA

View Full Version : 2013 modifying door family

cr_gixxer
2012-12-18, 06:35 PM
I'm only beginning to understand families, and could use some help understanding/modifying the attached door family.

Ideally I would like to have a parameter that could control the width of the door frame. Right now it is 2". I've tried to add a parameter to control this, but it over-constrains the model, and I can't get around it.

I believe the 2" is standard, and might probably be ok in the long run, so I might not need parameter control; but I do need to account for a 3/16" (5mm) grout joint at each end. I can't seem to move the reference planes (left+right) in the family to change the size of the frame.

Any advice on procedure to get this to work for me would be great.

jsteinhauer
2012-12-18, 06:58 PM
If you look at your exterior elevation view, there are already dimensions for the 2". These dimensions are locked, and should be unlocked and labeled with a frame Jamb parameter. I would also clean up duplicate parameters, group parameters under their appropriate category, as well as change the unit settings for length to suppress Zero Feet.

I hope this helps,
Jeff S.

cr_gixxer
2012-12-18, 07:27 PM
oh that helps plenty!
forgot to check all views.
I managed to get the jamb as a parameters

Which are the duplicate parameters?

I will also try to organize them into their appropriate category. It's just a bit harder when I still don't know what they all do or mean.

jsteinhauer
2012-12-19, 09:21 AM
The rough opening parameters under 'Other' are the duplicate parameters. Why not just use the OOTB parameters for doors? The formulas you have can be used for these parameters as well. I would also assign a value for your Assembly Code & Omni Classification Number. This allows for integration with 3d party spec software.

Cheers.

Jeff S.