PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Best way to attack a two lot project

skyeg3206316
2012-12-24, 07:08 AM
Im going to be starting a project in which two lots will be developed and I am wondering whether it would be better to create two separate projects or if i can use one. The lots are arranged one behind the other on a hillside so the things i am concerned about are the project not becoming too cumbersome with two sets of elevations and floorplans. Also with naming the elevations of floorplans ( such as level 1 House 1) and not having that name show up on the project drawings. I'm also worried about isolating one project from the other and not having one of the houses show up in the others plans.
It would be really nice for 3-D sake to model everything in one project but I also want to do whatever will be easiest for creating plans. What should I do?

cliff collins
2012-12-24, 02:17 PM
1. Create a Site Model, with Property Lines and a Toposurface, for starters.
2. Create a new Revit project for each building.
3. Link the two building projects into the Site file, using Shared Coordinates.
4. Link the site and other building into each building file, using Shared Coordinates.

Produce sheets/views/details for each building from their respective building files.

Study up on Shared Coordinates, Project Base Point, Survey Point, and Linking Revit models.
Also study up on using Visibility/Graphics and View Templates for Linked Revit models.

skyeg3206316
2012-12-25, 12:09 AM
thanks very much

rob.127056
2012-12-27, 03:01 PM
My usual thought process is: Two lots, two permits, two projects files.
I would even take Cliff's suggestion one step further and create two separate site files, although you could probably get away with just one. I just like keeping my separate projects completely separate in Revit.
If you need to view all models in one Revit file you can do that with Revit links and shared coordinates per Cliff's response.

skyeg3206316
2012-12-27, 04:26 PM
I have created a site file with property lines and topography imported from the engineers AutoCAD drawing, I also created two project files and started modeling the houses. I then went into this site project and linked to two house projects in and placed them using the manual-base point option because I'm still not sure how to use shared coordinates yet. That all seems to work great except I still have a few problems, the first being that the project Is not visible at all in the 3-D view (see attachment) and the second being that in the individual project files there is no topography. Is there a way to bring the site topography into the project files and have it update with the models?88647