PDA

View Full Version : 2013 What's this for? the Devide, / ?

mike99
2013-01-09, 06:07 AM
How to use this "/" in a Conditional statements?

CADastrophe
2013-01-09, 01:20 PM
Use it just like the other basic operators such as "+". The most common trouble people have with division is maintaining the proper units. For example:

= if(LengthParameter < HeightParameter, HeightParameter / NumberParameter, LengthParameter / 6)

If you can elaborate on your situation (parameters, types, goal), then perhaps we can provide more advice.

mike99
2013-01-09, 06:07 PM
in the wikihelp,this "devide" just stands with the "<",">", and the "=", so that, I think, if there is a way to put it in the first position of a IF formula,maybe like this?
if (a/b,300mm,500m)

CADastrophe
2013-01-09, 06:33 PM
in the wikihelp,this "devide" just stands with the "<",">", and the "=", so that, I think, if there is a way to put it in the first position of a IF formula,maybe like this?
if (a/b,300mm,500m)

As long as the conditional statement returns a true or false result, it will work. Something like the following:

if (a/b=c,300mm,500m) ||| if (a/b > c,300mm,500m) ||| if (a/b < c/a,300mm,500m)

Revitaoist
2013-01-09, 07:39 PM
Someone on here explained how to make a formula for controlling angles in a family with an "x in 12" slope parameter and it involved the " / ", here's a pic of the formula. I used it to make a parametric canopy family, and I use it regularly to angle downspouts to match the roof slope.

irneb
2013-01-10, 10:16 AM
I'm with mike99 on this. The / operator is not a conditional operator. You can combine it into a formula with another conditional in order to produce a True/False, but it never returns a true/false on its own accord. It's a mathematical operator. In that vein, the help should then include the +-*^ operators also in the conditional grouping to be consistently erroneous :lol:. I think it's an error in the help - nothing more.

CADastrophe
2013-01-10, 02:01 PM
I'm with mike99 on this. The / operator is not a conditional operator. You can combine it into a formula with another conditional in order to produce a True/False, but it never returns a true/false on its own accord. It's a mathematical operator. In that vein, the help should then include the +-*^ operators also in the conditional grouping to be consistently erroneous :lol:. I think it's an error in the help - nothing more.

Agreed. That's WikiHelp so if you're feeling ambitious, miike99, you could post a comment to that page.