PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Help with wall penetration family

Griff
2013-01-13, 10:47 PM
Ok, I'm not the best at creating families but I'm working on it, but need some help. I have this family (attached) that I've been trying to make that will cut a hole in a wall and insert a structural steel frame for a duct penetration. I need to install this around a security perimeter. I need to maintain a gaps around the structural steel and the duct to allow for acoustic caulk (This part seems to work). This family seems to work fine if I place it in a single item wall (cmu wall) but if it is inserted into a multi layered wall it doesn't stretch to the width of the wall. I also can't seem to change the elevation of the frame in the properties. I'm open to suggestions and any help to get this to work.

88772 88773

Griff
2013-01-15, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion how to make this family stretch to fit the thickness of any wall I put it in? Any help would be really appreciated.

contact.andrewk968454
2013-01-15, 06:50 PM
I'd recommend using a face-based template rather than a wall-based template, for starters. You will have to use the built-in project parameter Elevation to control the mounting height with a wall-based template otherwise.

It will also be easier to adjust the depth of the frame this way. In a wall-based template you need to have a reference plane locked to the inner/outer surface of the wall in order to make things properly parametric. For a face-based, once you get around the orientation thing, it's much more powerful and customizable.

Griff
2013-01-15, 07:29 PM
THANK YOU andrewk !!!!
I understand the logic of using a face based template. Very easy to move around and resize to fit the wall. I'm getting close to the deadline on this project so attaching the family is extremely appreciated. Now I can reverse engineer it to see what you did. Thank you again very much!