PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Create Surface from Survey Import

tgeorgeson
2013-01-16, 06:42 PM
When I import my survey points I am not getting a surface. I have to explode my points and then create a surface from the "from Drawing" tool. Is there a setting that I am missing that explodes a survey file when it is brought in. Any suggestions. Thanks

Curly
2013-01-18, 01:39 AM
Are the points showing in All Points? What version are you using and why do you use the method you do? (I believe standard practice is to add points to a new surface).

mark.schnesk965480
2013-01-18, 06:31 PM
In our office, We have pre-defined point groups in our topo drawing template to organize the points by description/type. One of our point groups, defined as "Surface Points" containins all the points we would normally want in a surface while excluding those feature points, such as pipe inverts or control points, we would not want to include in our TIN. You can create as many or as little point groups as you want to organize your points and even assign point and label styles by group.

In the surface definition section of the prospector there is a section labeled "Point Groups" Where you can right-click and add all the surface point groups to your TIN as you have defined previously.

Our topo drawing template already contains an empty "EG" surface to which the point group "Surface Points" is pre-added. Once we process the points in the survey module and add them to the drawing, the surface is created automatically. You will still have to add breaklines from the survey figures, depending how you have those defined.

An alternate way is to add the survey cogo points to the surface using the "Drawing Objects" under surface definition. There is no need to explode the cogo points ahead of time as they count as drawing objects for this purpose.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse too much.