PDA

View Full Version : Fun w/ Balusters

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 01:31 AM
A mock up stair...

and here's a nice Example (http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6337) Scott Brown did awhile back too... (http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6337)

christopher.zoog51272
2005-02-10, 01:34 AM
awesome!! you are truly the baluster king!

PS how bad is the Regen time on that bad boy?

-Z

Scott D Davis
2005-02-10, 01:37 AM
but, but....I thought Revit can only do straight, orthangonal stuff???

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 02:33 AM
...PS how bad is the Regen time on that bad boy?W/ shadows pretty sluggish, w/o...fine...

Bryan Sutton
2005-02-10, 02:40 AM
WoW very nice - do you have any RPC's with elegant ballroom gowns? Render it up!
Cheers
Bryan

beegee
2005-02-10, 02:50 AM
Nice work Steve, but I gotta ask - how many commissions do you get to renovate Versailles ? :grin:

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 03:02 AM
...how many commissions do you get to renovate Versailles?... Counting this one?

Scott Hopkins
2005-02-10, 04:22 AM
Wow Steve! - that is a tour de force! I am sure a lot of work went into that. Just imagine for a moment how long that would have taken without Revit... :shock:

mlgatzke
2005-02-10, 04:49 AM
Looks REAL nice Steve.

Joef
2005-02-10, 04:55 AM
Very nice! I'm not certain I share your idea of "Fun" though. :-)

Scott_Bloss
2005-02-10, 12:17 PM
Very interesting Steve now I know what you have been doing in your spare time. Nice job.

Rols
2005-02-10, 02:19 PM
Wow! If I bump into any royalty looking for a stair remodel, I'll send them right on to you.
For curiosity's sake, may I ask how many hours are involved in creating such a masterpiece???

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 03:11 PM
For curiosity's sake, may I ask how many hours are involved in creating such a masterpiece???If you have the baluster and newel post families already the stair could be done in about 15 minutes. I mocked up three stairs, different shapes, for one of our project teams to use for reverse engineering. The first baluster took a couple hours because the regular baluster family template wouldn't behave (possible bug), once I switched to the baluster panel family template it worked "right quick"!

Rols
2005-02-10, 03:26 PM
Wow. Someday when I grow up, I want to be half as good as you!!
Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to us all.

Scott D Davis
2005-02-10, 05:12 PM
The coolest thing about stairs:

If Steve would be so kind to post a RVT file of even a 'piece' of that stair, you could cut n paste in in to your own models and apply the properties to your own stairs!

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 06:04 PM
Wow. Someday when I grow up, I want to be half as good as you!!
Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to us all.You are too kind and mostly wrong...:wink: Really this image is striking because of Revit and Advanced model graphics. Here's an image of the same stair with un-exciting balusters and railings. I can email the project...it's too big (purged 4.7mb)...send me a pm...(attached a snippet)

Rols
2005-02-10, 11:00 PM
Sorry about the delay, I had to take care of an icky ADT problem (go figure).
Thanks for the model! I'm wondering what the purpose of the voids in the baluster family is. Why didn't you just adjust the profile of the "base blocks"??

Scott D Davis
2005-02-10, 11:08 PM
Voids in the Balluster family are part of the default template, and will assure your ballusters get cut at the top and bottom at the correct angle and height.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-10, 11:25 PM
I'm wondering what the purpose of the voids in the baluster family is. Why didn't you just adjust the profile of the "base blocks"??The voids cut away the excess material you need when the railing isn't on a ramp or stair. The top of the solid needs to be "free" to adjust. This has been my experience at least. It also is how the stock balusters are created by the "masters" at the Factory.

Rols
2005-02-11, 02:10 PM
Thanks, guys!
Sorry to bother you with the mundane questions. I think it will make more sense with a little more practice. We don't get much demand for grand staircases in our buildings. But, I suppose I could do a couple of "practice stairs" in my current project and then have a little fun with the design options tool!!!
Thanks again for the insight.
Your humble student,
Rols