PDA

View Full Version : Adding Labels to Profiles

quiggle
2005-02-10, 06:05 AM
I have searched the entire settings tree 3 times and I can still not find where the settings are for labels to be added manually to a profile. I need to place the station and elevation of intersections, preferably in a style similar to a grade break. The only option I am given when using the "Add Label" function is a piece of mtext bounded by a box with a point symbol. In addition to this being quite difficult to place where I need it, the style is wholly unacceptable. I do not want to loose this style and would prefer to place a copy of what I have created elsewhere in the folder that is opened for the "Add Label" function.

stephen.cowling
2005-02-11, 04:31 AM
Hi,
Haven't used profiles (yet), but have you tried right clicking on the label you have created, and going to label properties, then clicking on the label style, then the ... button on the right, then the small drop-down and copy current selection?
Then obviously pause for breath...

This should let you create a new style. Call it something recognizable, then go looking for it in the settings tree.

It could work; stranger things have happened.

Stephen

quiggle
2005-02-11, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help. I have found this setting tree hiding in the "profile view" labels, but I can't copy the definition to there as I had hoped. It seems we will have to assemble all of the label elements from scratch rather than modify an existing one.

MHultgren
2005-02-11, 02:06 PM
Profiles Dialog Boxes (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profile_dialog_boxes.html)
Information Tab (Profile Properties Dialog Box)

<LI class=updateitem>Comments? ("][/url]
Use this tab to view or change primary information about a profile.

Name

Specifies the name of the profile. The application generates a default value, or you can enter a name. Maximum length is 128 characters.

Description

Specifies an optional description of the profile. Maximum length is 4096 characters.

Object Style

Specifies the name of the style used by the profile. Use the buttons to preview or edit the style.

Profiles[/u] (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles.html)
Profiles ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.pg_up.gif (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles.html) Profile Labels and Label Styles
ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabOn1.gif Concept
(ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles43.html)ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabOn3.gif ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabOff1.gif Procedure
(ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles44.html)ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabOff3.gif ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabGrey1.gif
You can use several types of labels for profiles and profile views.

Profile labels

Profiles are automatically labeled when you create them, using label styles you specify in the Profile Properties Dialog Box ("] Quick Reference
ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/ac.TabGrey3.gif

<LI class=updateitem>
major and minor stations of the parent horizontal alignment
[/list]
<LI class=bullet_1>horizontal geometry points <LI class=bullet_1>grade breaks
line start points

curve start points
After you have designed some label styles, if you want to reuse them, you can save them as a profile label set.

Profile view labels

After creating a profile view, you can use the Add Labels Dialog Box (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Labels_dialog_boxes32.html#574744) to manually add labels to particular points of interest on a profile line or anywhere else in the grid. These labels show either the station and elevation of a point, or selected data about two points, such as the depth and distance between them.

Profile view data bands

You can place data bands along the top or bottom of a profile view grid to annotate the various profile lines with station and elevation data, vertical geometry points, or horizontal geometry points. You can also group a set of commonly used data bands into a band set that can be applied to a profile view as a single selection.

The topics in this section describe what is unique to profile labels. For a general overview of labels, see Understanding Label Styles in Autodesk Civil 3D (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Labels4.html#466831).

<LI class=jumplist>Editing Profile Labels (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles46.html#565964)
You can edit the set of labels used for one instance of a profile, without affecting instances of the same profile in other profile views. <LI class=jumplist>Managing Profile Label Styles (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles46.html#565981)
Use the Settings tab in Toolspace to create and edit profile label styles. <LI class=jumplist>Managing Profile View Label Styles (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles49.html#512608)
Use the Settings tab of Toolspace to create and edit profile view label styles. <LI class=jumplist>Adding Profile View Labels (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles56.html#513650)
Manually place profile view labels at points of interest anywhere on a profile view.
Profile View Data Band Styles (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles62.html#543720)
Use the Settings tab in Toolspace to create and edit data band styles.
[url="javascript:doComments();"]Comments? (ms-its:C:Program FilesAutodesk Civil 3DHelpcivil_ug.chm::/CUG_Profiles65.html#543460)

do any of these help?

quiggle
2005-02-11, 06:04 PM
Thanks Stephen and Mark. Here is at least a partial solution for anyone interested:

First, don't bother with the "Add Label to Profile" command.

The best as I can tell, if you want to have a label appear at an intersection one must include a PI in the alignment and make it part of the horizontal geometry. The PI's can be added at any time and the profile will update itself PROVIDED the intersection falls along a tangent. All attempts to modify the alignment where the intersection must fall within a curve have failed. It seems at this point that there must be two seperate curves defined in the alignment from the start. They could probably be modified as necessary, but I can find no way to break a single curve to make a new horizontal geometry point.

EDIT

I found a way to insert the PCC in the alignment. I will walk through it if or when someone wants to know

quiggle
2005-02-11, 06:19 PM
Hi,
Haven't used profiles (yet),
Stephen
If you get the opportunity to work with the profiles definitely give it a try. The little interface bar is a bit strange, but when you discover how all the buttons work it is amazing. After I found out that I really could input data the same way as with Civil Design I found the process quite easy.