PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Editing legacy families

geoff.80680
2013-01-23, 02:48 PM
Is there a way to edit families created in a project from a previous version of Revit if you do not have the original *.rfa files. There is no "Edit family" option on these elements.

Ive installed "Family Manager Basic" application which appeared to be the answer but doesn't appear to recognise the legacy families either.

Any help much appreciated.

DaveP
2013-01-23, 05:02 PM
I know I've seen another thread about something similar.
Some real old versions won't let you use the Edit family. And I believe they would Export them, either.
Can't find the thread, though.:Oops:

jsnyder.68308
2013-01-24, 04:37 AM
I have run into this myself. It is maddening. The following may shed light and provide closure:
http://www.cadsoft-consult.com/blogs/architecture/2009/08/unable-to-edit-a-revit-family/

irneb
2013-01-24, 10:39 AM
It seems the issue is due to upgrading the RVT file the internal families aren't also upgraded. And this is then disallowed from edit/export by adesk's "genius" programmers.

So what to do if you don't have the original RFA file so you can upgrade that, and then reload? As shown it's probably impossible. A thing you "might" try is link and bind your RVT file into a new blank RVT. See if you can now export/edit the family. Perhaps such a bind/import might just upgrade the embedded families properly.