PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Imported FIle :" Mass contains only mesh geometries"

fabian.posadas
2013-01-24, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone.

I have an issue importing a Rhino file into Revit. I have imported files in the past with previous versions of Revit with no problem.
I modeled geometry for a highrise hotel. The geometry is a closed solid volume with no naked edges. I then exported as Acis(.sat) file as I have many times before. I then opened Opened Revit 2013 and selected create New conceptual mass. I inserted the sat file in Revit. Then clicked load to project. Once I got into my project I get the error " Mass contains only mesh geometries, which cant be used to compute mass floors, volume or surface area." I know that typically means that the geometry is not a closed solid, but I went back to my rhino model and found that it is closed. So I don't know why its giving me this error. Has revit 2013 been adjusted so that we can longer import external models.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fabian

anna.oscarson
2013-01-25, 12:03 PM
Hi Fabian,
Would it be possible to send me a copy of the Rhino file, so that we can take a look at this?
Sincerely,
Anna Oscarson
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

damon.sidel
2013-01-25, 01:59 PM
We have found two things to cause this problem even when you have a closed volume:
1. Too many faces. It may not be exactly that there is a limit, but we've broken our masses up (for highrises) into tiers, for instance, each one imports fine and we are able to use them as expected. Also, lopping off pieces of your mass in Rhino, then importing the remaining mass could help you isolate the problem.
2. Coplanar faces. If a planar surface is made up of two or more joined surfaces, we've had a problem with this. We often explode the mass, trace the boundary of the overall planar surface and rejoin everything. That has fixed a few of our models with this error.