PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Saw cut, Panel Joint, Cast Reveals Graphics

Limbatus
2013-01-29, 06:51 PM
I am on a design team re purposing an aerospace development facility in El Segundo, CA and convert into office space for creative businesses, software design, web, marketing etc. The Building is an existing 120,00 sf concrete tilt up. I am experiencing a lot of problems trying to model the existing panel joints, existing trapezoidal panel reveals, new sandblasting + painting, and new sawcuts to delineate paint variations. It seems that each of these items can be installed individually on a face, but when the conditions are compounded, complications arise. before you read these questions, take a look at the images I have attached. the jpg images were created in 3ds max, and represent the look we would like to achieve with our revit model.

88934889338893288931Here are the problems that i have found trying to express my design / refine my drawings in revit:

Void Cuts cannot be set with custom subcategories, lineweights
Masking Regions cannot always hide these cuts, 90% accuracy in the elevs
Modeling Thin 1/32" paint layers casts shadows, and disrupts the lineweight hierarchy of my elevations
sawcuts disturb split face and painting options
window door openings disrupt reveals

2ndly, what is the best method for demolishing certain portions of existing walls? We began by editing the wall profile, but then could not host new windows and doors in this area. next we installed new walls during the demo phase, but found a lot of graphic errors with coplanar surfaces. finally we arrived on installing wall based openings in the demo phase, then filling them, and installing new walls to host new windows and doors. the whole process has been a total pain.

cliff collins
2013-01-29, 07:15 PM
You might consider using Parts, with Divided Parts and Joint Profiles, etc.
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/0328-Build_th328/1324-Construc1324/1326-Parts1326/1327-Parts_Ov1327

Yes--Phasing will be a challenge for this project! But you are on the right track. Partial demo areas should be created by modeling the portion you want demo'd on the Exist. Phase, then demolishing. Edit Profile of walls will cause problems with complex Phasing. The more literal the better, when modeling these type of situations. It sounds very tedious--and it is-- but once you have it all set up, the documents will flow out pretty fast, so you may gain back what seems like a lot of slowness in the modeling process early on. Good luck!