PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Question about square footage and rooms

w1ca1354267
2013-01-30, 09:48 PM
I have a room that is a square and within the room I have a closet that is a rectangle. Revit calculated the SF for each separately. Can Revit provide me with the dimensions it used to calculate the footage? Does anyone know what the formula is? The closet is 11 SF and the room is 120 FT.

cliff collins
2013-01-30, 10:03 PM
Revit uses the "footprint" of the Room to report the Area of a Room, which can be bounded by room-bounding walls, columns, floors, and room separation lines.

Area Plans are another way to calculate areas, check into those. The advantage of Rooms and Area Plans is they are able to be Scheduled with a Room Schedule or Area Schedule.

Another fast way is to place a Filled Region or a Floor, and get the Area from its Properties.

w1ca1354267
2013-01-30, 11:48 PM
I am suppose to put in the actual dimensions of the room, and not the square footage. So is there a command that revit uses to put in the actual dimensions? What is your method of designating a non-commercial building for rooms? Do you put in the dimensions manually and not include any sq footage? Is there a revit command that designates both sq footage and actual dimensions together?

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-01-31, 12:01 AM
There is no way to do this automatically. You can create a family that will allow you to report the dimensions by tagging the family.

antman
2013-01-31, 01:41 PM
The video in this post might help with what you are trying to do. And to answer your question in the other thread, I think for reporting area, it would be standard to NOT include the closet area.
http://revitrocks.blogspot.com/2010/03/parametric-room-size-label.html