PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Cavity Wall Join/s

nathanjh13355046
2013-02-01, 11:54 AM
Hi all. According to the search there are no threads that cover this which surprised me. Then again most people perhaps already know the solution but I can't find it.

How do I clean up the drawing shown such that the cavity is continuous, the "Wall Joins" tool doesn't solve it.

I wan't a T shaped cavity ideally. But looking at the materials I'll just use "don't clean join" I suppose.

Many thanks

irneb
2013-02-03, 03:26 PM
This is an old issue which ADesk simply refuses to fix. Perhaps because such cavities tend to not be used in the US. However in my country (South Africa) it's basically the norm in building construction (especially with external walls).

What you're showing hardly happens though - but there are some cases where it does. Make sure both skins of the wall type is the same Function and Material - else you'll never get it working properly. Secondly it tend to work better if you right-click --> disallow Join on the "stem" wall of the T, then stretch it into the other wall up to the border of the first skin, then use Join geometry.

However, there's still an issue: what about end-nibs / opening nibs? If you set the wall skins (block- / brickwork) to form part of the structure of the wall (as it should be) those ends don't wrap. You end up with something like this (which is simply incorrect!):

You either end up having to modify the Cut Profile under the View Ribbon Tab (i.e. you do so for each and every view individually). Or you set the wall skins to be outside the structure (i.e. as a finish with the cavity void as the structure - stupid aint it?). Why adesk doesn't allow the structure to wrap also is simply :shock: So the "simplest" solution looks like using the "finish" level for the skins - but there's yet another fly in the ointment: What about T junctions from non-cavity internal walls?
There's ALWAYS a "Yes ... BUT" in Revit. :roll: So you end up simply shifting the problem somewhere else.

And then why you are only allowed one layer to be checked as "Structural Material" is yet another WTF! Especially on these types of walls, since sometimes both skins are used as bearing walls - usually only the inner skin though.

irneb
2013-02-03, 03:44 PM
Actually my method of choice is to draw the walls as they should be (i.e. both skins inside the structure area), then disallow join where 2 cavities T into each other and use the align + join geometry trick. Then for the nibs I go and draw a filled region (trapezium shaped) with the same fill pattern as the skins and the linework set to the same linestyle with the diagonals as <Invisible Line>. At least then I can "easily" copy-n-paste the "nib-fixes" to their positions and copy-n-paste to other views. Unlike that "stupid" Edit Cut Profile which you have to redo each and every time for each nib in each view (i.e. could become 1000's of times)

Painful, but from my experience the least so. Could become tiresome on a large building with lots of changes! At least here you can add more detail where needed - e.g. the DPC in the window's nibs could form part of the filled region as a detail group.