PDA

View Full Version : 2013 modifying window family

jsteinhauer
2013-02-08, 08:18 PM
So there are Visibility Control for Interior & Exterior Muntins. If you want to add a second layer of control on, you would need to add a bunch of parameters & formulas. Or, keeping it simple, create two new & rename the current Visibility controls and apply them to every muntin in the family.

Windows typically stick out past the exterior face of the wall for water shedding purposes. When a window is installed, the molding on the exterior gets wrapped with a J-Channel flashing. Then the siding material gets slid into that. Depending how good your installer is, or how you detail the window, a self-healing water proof membrane would get installed over the nailing flange. Then when the J flashing is installed, caulking would be installed between it and the wall, so water always sheds away from the structure.

On the interior, windows will come measured to the depth of the wall. Once the drywall is installed, interior trim should fit flush against the window frame (Jambs, Sill & Header). Make sure that the wall thickness is properly called out for each wall/window condition.

This family does flex properly to differing wall thicknesses. The only problem you may have is if the wall is to thin to accommodate the window's construction.

I hope this helps,
Jeff S.

cr_gixxer
2013-02-08, 09:37 PM
I don't really need a second layer of control really.
Couldn't I just rename the exterior and interior to upper and lower, and then assign one set of muntins to each?

The muntins are their own family, so I don't know how this plays into things.

cr_gixxer
2013-02-09, 12:28 AM
I'm in the process of modifying this window family that I started with as a base, and I would like to add a parameter to control the visibilty of the upper and lower muntins independently.

I can't figure it out

Also, it seems like this window family is offset from the wall host, as it sticks out past the exterior face of the wall, and is inset on the inside. They have some extrusion to fill in the gap on the inside.
(this might be a bit picky, but it just looks a bit odd in plan. I would like it to be more generic in plan.