PDA

View Full Version : Room volume

mtogni
2003-11-01, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to get the volume of a room but with no result... No proper field in schedule, no other info... Any ideas?
Thanks

PeterJ
2003-11-01, 11:42 AM
I'm guessing.........

make a ceiling based generic model of an invisible line and then have an instance parameter which is the dim from ceiling to ref plane below. This should 'read' the floor to ceiling height when placed.

How you get it to know the area too is tougher. Try nesting a room tag and seeing if you can get the area to multiply by the ceilingheight you have just read. It sounds like I am plucking at bits of the interface that aren't there yet, but it may be feasible.

mtogni
2003-11-01, 03:34 PM
Many thanks for your kind answer, but your suggestion could work in a "flat" situation (w/ plain roof), but, how could I do with a non-plain roof?
Strange Revit does not provide a (I think) simple but really important solution. Other software such as ArchLine Xp or Archicad do...
Hope this could be in the wishlist for next releases.

PeterJ
2003-11-01, 04:41 PM
You're right I didn't think it through far enough.

I don't see a way of doing it then.

Michael Coviello
2003-11-13, 10:34 PM
Here's something that i did because I had a similar problem. It's not pretty but it worked.
Make a new wall type and set the thickness of the wall to the depth of the room. Next go to an elevation view and edit elevation profile. The properties of the wall will show the volume. If you have one room with different sectional profiles you will have to make separate walls and then add up the volumes. I would like to see revit add "room volume" command.
Hope this helps.

beegee
2003-11-13, 10:47 PM
It's not pretty but it worked.

Michael,
That may not be pretty,.......... but its pretty clever.
You could post that in the tips and tricks forum.

Michael Coviello
2003-11-13, 10:56 PM
hi beegee,
Is there a way to link to this topic from tips and tricks?

I put one there.........beegee

mtogni
2003-11-14, 10:32 AM
I appreciate a lot your suggestion, but sincerely if I had to do this for each room (and... what about with non regular room?) maybe is better to calculate the volume with a pen and a calculator... I think it would be quicker!
Regards.