PDA

View Full Version : Green Building Studio

DanielleAnderson
2005-02-11, 01:41 AM
I have just begun to play around with the option of exporting revit models to gbxml format for the Green Building Studio calculator program. I was just curious if others have tried it and what they thought?
Thanks!

Kirky
2005-02-11, 03:49 AM
Unfortunately as yet there isn't a version for Australia and I from what I can see some basic assumptions are made in regard to levels, slope roofs etc. So I am unclear about overall accuracy as compared to existing alternative energy software? Gone however have the days when buildings just needed to look good, they also need to perform to a mininium thermal standard ( I am sure you have similar requirements). In theory thermal performance that is a legal requirement that is not acheived in the actual building, could be seen as negligence by the designer and the additional cost of heating/cooling of such seen as damages. For me the process of exporting to gbxml is not transparent enough and I tend to favour either the direct data imput of systems like Camel or the graphical feedback of software like Ecotect. I just don't feel I can hang my hat on it yet, but as a useful comparison tool in real time it is the way to go. I only wish I could use it! Maybe, one day I get a 'green' card.

JamesVan
2005-02-11, 06:57 PM
I've been experimenting with Revit and GBS for some time now and am impressed with it thus far. Keep in mind that GBS is currently designed for energy usage analysis in early design. That is to say that the important things considered by the utility based on the gbXML output are overall volume, area, and building orientation. Assumptions are made based on type of construction according to the building type you specify when creating a project on their site. It is quite useful when you are studying massing of your building design (for example, GBS will show differences if you are studying the difference between a short, wide building against a tall, narrow building).

Based on conversations with Geopraxis, upcoming enhancements of GBS will allow designers to run iterative studies on the GBS site allowing fundamental changes in materials, energy conservation options, shading devices and the like.

DanielleAnderson
2005-02-14, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am just starting to experiment with it but the engineers are really excited about it. Improvements to the program sound exciting.
Danielle