PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Rotating the view without moving the model

Sharpy74
2013-02-27, 02:04 PM
I don't know if anyone can help. I have just started out in Revit and have brought in my plan from AutoCAD which is in the right place in the world.

How do I rotate my view without changing the real location in the world that the model is in.

If anyone could help I'd be very grateful.:banghead:

damon.sidel
2013-02-27, 04:31 PM
What you want is to set your project and true north. You'll find the commands you need on the Manage tab. Instead of trying to give you a step-by-step (I find setting project and true north a little confusing), do a quick google search for "project north revit" (www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS432US432&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS432US432&sclient=psy-ab&q=revit%20project%20north&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=938d6efe2af56fa4&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dmg&biw=1495&bih=964) and you'll get dozens of more useful, more in-depth explanations than I could provide here.

MikeJarosz
2013-02-27, 07:16 PM
Besides setting project north to actual values, you can rotate views on the fly. Go to a view and make sure the view is set to project north. Unless you have already set them up, there won't be any difference between true and project north, but the following steps won't work unless the view is set to project north. Next, make sure the cropping view is turned on and visible. Select the cropping frame (blue dots will appear on the perimeter).

Now under the modify tab, click the rotate icon. The rotate point and handle will appear as it does in all rotations. Use it to rotate the view. Watch closely. You are rotating the frame, not the data. If you have another view of the same area, take a look. The data will still be where it belongs. Only the view you first selected was rotated.

If the view is set to true north, the rotate icon will be greyed out. You will not be able to rotate the view and you will be banging your head against a brick wall like I did for several hours one day. Unless of course, you are Zeus and have the power to change the orientation of the earth and stars and actually relocate true north.

dhurtubise
2013-02-28, 09:51 AM
If it's just a view you are trying to rotate the rotate the crop region.
If it's the entire project see above :)