PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Trying to create a floor pattern plan

yourock139176971
2013-03-01, 12:44 AM
Hi,

I am trying to create a detail floor pattern plan for a design class. The example I was given was created in AutoCAD and is attached for reference. I modeled my Revit file and added my flooring but cannot figure out how to create the a detail plan for the floor.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Sal

cliff collins
2013-03-01, 02:20 PM
You can use two methods:

Model individual floors, edit their structure and assign Material with a surface pattern. Make sure patterns are visible in your view Visibility/Graphics>Floors.

Create a single floor, then use Parts, and Divide the Parts and assign different Materials with surface patterns to each divided region. Make sure Parts are visible in VG and View Properties.

You can then use a 3D View, and Lock it--then annotate/tag the Materials. Pretty slick.

See attached image.

damon.sidel
2013-03-01, 04:58 PM
I'll add a third method: detail lines and filled regions. It may not be as pretty or useful in multiple views, but we've found that in production, we like to isolate the floor pattern to a single drawing.

cliff collins
2013-03-01, 07:20 PM
Sorry. I must disagree. Lines and Filled regions is a very "cad" like approach. Good luck scheduling any materials. Good luck showing the floor pattern in any other views, esp. 3D--much less a rendering,
which the client should be able to look at, comment on and inform the design process.

There is no need to "isolate the floor pattern to a single drawing". Would you do that with ceilings? Walls with patterns/textures? You might as well export to cad and just draw it in 2d and label it.
Not very "BIM"-like. Just sayin'.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-03-02, 12:36 AM
Sorry. I must disagree. Lines and Filled regions is a very "cad" like approach. Good luck scheduling any materials. Good luck showing the floor pattern in any other views, esp. 3D--much less a rendering,
which the client should be able to look at, comment on and inform the design process.

There is no need to "isolate the floor pattern to a single drawing". Would you do that with ceilings? Walls with patterns/textures? You might as well export to cad and just draw it in 2d and label it.
Not very "BIM"-like. Just sayin'.

(strongly) Seconded.

Alfredo Medina
2013-03-03, 12:48 AM
An additional comment: it is good to model the structural floors (e.g. concrete slab) and the architectural floors (finishes), as separate floor elements. It will allow you to work on the floor patterns without messing with the structure. If you use this workflow, the finish floors should be modeled before the casework and furniture elements. Otherwise, these elements will be hosted by the structural floor and will need to be re-hosted to the finish floor.

Duncan Lithgow
2013-03-04, 08:44 PM
Since what the op really is asking for is a way to model a tile pattern isn't parts a bit of overkill? The thickness of the tile hardly seems worth modelling in 3d. Why not just have a scree + tile layer of the floor and use paint to do the pattern?

And as I hear damon saying, something like a tile pattern is a distracting nuisance in most drawings - except the one where we want it.

That said I have almost no experience with parts - I stopped looking at them when I realised they couldn't help me manage curtain walls better...

damon.sidel
2013-03-04, 09:46 PM
I hear everybody who says to model it and be able to schedule it. In my office, we would never schedule the pattern in the way I think others are suggesting. As Duncan suggests, we find such a detailed pattern a distracting nuisance in most drawings. We do indeed have different floor types to accommodate different floor finishes, but they are displayed with a generic pattern or none at all. Cliff, would you really schedule each and every tile and tag it, etc? I'd be interested to see a similarly detail floor pattern and accompanying documents (schedule, tagged drawing, 3D images from Revit, etc.) and try to understand the added benefit. I must be missing something.

As for visualization, a nice applied texture map in 3ds Max works for us on that account, which is where we do all that kind of photorealistic visualization.

cliff collins
2013-03-04, 10:12 PM
We would not schedule each tile; we WOULD (and do) schedule the Area of the Tile Material, and other Materials so we have automatic take-offs of the various Materials.

The thickness of the materials DOES matter--funny how nobody would question the importance of the thickness of a wall or roof material; but finish material thicknesses "are not important?".....

I attached a screenshot of a recent project showing a detailed floor pattern. Each finish is tagged and scheduled in Revit.

Worksets, Filters and View Templates control visibility of the patterns for various views where needed/not needed.

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-03-05, 04:12 AM
Floor finishes are often a separate scope of work, on the design side and the construction side. You can place 'finish assemblies' on a separate Workset or assign a parameter that would allow you to control visibility by view templates. On much larger projects or where the finishes are handled by a separate ID firm, you could even place them in a separate model entirely and link them into the final arch model. Separate ID packages, separate views, different graphics requirements for different drawing sets, tagging, scheduling; the reasons for modeling are many.
At the very least I try to avoid view specific 'drafting' so, even if it's not required in every view, the information is always present in the model so it can be considered and leveraged should the need arise.

damon.sidel
2013-03-05, 05:04 PM
Wow, Cliff, that's quite a floor pattern! Even though I've been designing (with Revit) for over 10 years, I've never worked on a project that had that level of decorative finish nor for which I was required to do that level of detailed take-offs. Very informative, thank you for sharing.