PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Blocks in AutoCAD for MAC

randamille
2013-03-01, 09:18 PM
Where are the blocks stored? Can you delete blocks from that list? How can you import older blocks into your current list of blocks so that they will be in the insert list? Anyone recommend a book or pamphlet that would explain this?

jaberwok
2013-03-02, 05:26 PM
Where are the blocks stored? Can you delete blocks from that list? How can you import older blocks into your current list of blocks so that they will be in the insert list? Anyone recommend a book or pamphlet that would explain this?

How are you accessing these blocks?
Insert command? Design Centre?
Blocks may be stored as objects in your drawing and/or are separate drawing files.

randamille
2013-03-04, 01:26 PM
I have some of my old blocks which are stored in my template, but When I open that, and go to add a recently created block, it is not there. I suppose that this new version stores the blocks in each drawing,but not in a common location. How do I find blocks I created in other drawings? Is there a way to have AutoCAD store the blocks in a directory that is accessible for any drawing?
--Randy

cadtag
2013-03-04, 01:44 PM
The WBlock command will write out a block as a dwg file anywhere you want it to, so it's easy enough to set upo a local library of commonly used blocks.

As for pulling them out of other drawings -- see if ADC Autodesk Design Center) is part of Acad for MAc. If it is,then you can browse using that to locate and insert blocks from other drawings. If it's not, that's one moire thing skipped in the Mac version

jaberwok
2013-03-04, 03:09 PM
Background - when you create a block within a drawing that block exists ONLY within that drawing until/unless you do something about it - AutoCAD will not create a separate, accessible version for you.

BlackBox
2013-03-04, 05:07 PM
I've found Lee's Steal from Drawing (http://www.lee-mac.com/steal.html) routine to be very useful in the past.

cadtag
2013-03-04, 05:51 PM
will that run on Acad_for_Mac? IIRC there are activex and VL dependencies in that that The Mac version doesn't support?

BlackBox
2013-03-04, 05:58 PM
will that run on Acad_for_Mac? IIRC there are activex and VL dependencies in that that The Mac version doesn't support?

I didn't think about the ActiveX dependency... I use it (ActiveX) so often, it's just part of LISP to my very limited mind... Yet another reason to teach myself ObjectARX (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=773204&siteID=123112), as this is the other API Mac (partially) supports.