PDA

View Full Version : 2013 File Structure - Revit with multiple users

ROBP-RDS
2013-03-04, 04:47 PM
I am working on creating standards. What are some options to create a file structure for Revit projects when multiple users are involved. I was thinking of a centrial file then each user could have a folder to work from the centrial file as a host. Each user would need to synk. to the server to keep with the most up to date file.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Duncan Lithgow
2013-03-04, 05:29 PM
sounds like you're not up to date with how Revit makes local files almost automatically when you point to a central file (if the create local file box is checked) in each users My Documents folder . What you're talking about hasn't been necessary for a few years. Have I misunderstood the question?

ROBP-RDS
2013-03-04, 06:00 PM
Duncan,

Thanks! I will need to take a look at how Revit can automatically create a local file to the "my docs" folder. I was manually creating one to the server for each user. Up until a few weeks ago it was just me creating the revit files. Now we have multiple users in the office, so I am trying to keep things as organized as possible. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Take care,
Rob

Duncan Lithgow
2013-03-04, 07:50 PM
What you're doing used to be necessary, but yeah, it's pretty easy now. Revit can 'see' the difference between a central file and a 'not central' file. So by pointing Revit to a central file you get the option to 'create local file'. By default it places the local file in My Documents, but I'm pretty sure you can change that to any folder.

Glad I could give you some good news!

ROBP-RDS
2013-03-05, 12:52 PM
Duncan,

Thanks! I appreciate it...

Take care,
Rob