PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Foundation Waterproofing and BIM

martin.grandbois
2013-03-05, 03:26 PM
Hi there,
i'm trying to include foundation waterproofing information into my architectural model. For example, we often use liquid membrane with insulation board for the first 8 feet of our foundation wall but on the remaining of the wall we replace the insulation board with a protective board. And depending of the condition we may use liquid, liquid reinforced or sheet membrane on various part of our foundation walls.

So, I created my foundation walls with a layer of 3mm that i want to split into parts and I was looking at parts to split wall faces into pieces and paint different material on it depending the type of combination of membrane/protective panel/drainage board/insulation board I may need to apply on the surface.

The problem i have is that i lost all material defenition of the wall when i edit the Division of the parts.

How do you manage to include the waterproofing information in to your BIM models?

I want to be able to annotate my waterproofing in section, plans and elevations.

Mike L Sealander
2013-03-05, 04:40 PM
I would stay away from parts. Try modeling your waterproofing as a separate element, not as part of your foundation. You might find that you can make a stacked wall composed of your two types of waterproofing/protection board. Or, you might find it more helpful to create a stand-alone family which is wall-based to model your waterproofing. I have been modeling exterior foundation insulation as wall separated from my concrete foundation wall. It seems to give a bit more flexibility.

martin.grandbois
2013-03-05, 05:04 PM
Actually, im exactly trying to do not model the membrane and insulation with a separate wall. I think it is too much time spent to model these and it makes too much info to manage when there is changes and the user's won't always remember to adjust the 2nd wall if the foundation wall change. I'm trying to only manage this information as a surface and not as a wall.

The other option i'm looking at is split face and paint a material but i can only annotate the material with a keynote when i'm perpendicular to it's face or in 3d view. So this means that i cannot indicate the waterproofing type in sections ans when cut in plans...wich is a bit annoying.