PDA

View Full Version : Logging tool for Revit

j.vandepoel
2013-03-11, 08:13 AM
Hi, this is not meant as an advertisement.

We are currently creating a logging tool for Revit (all flavours). The idea for this tool is to be able to monitor the history of most elements used in Revit.
Why not all? Well, the displacement of a chair or a tree is not really critical. We focus on most of the critical parts.
Besides that it gives users a handle if parts are inadvertently are moved, making it possible to consult other modelers about the risen problem.(consultancy is part of BIM)
Firsts test are looking good. Work is done on performance now.
Target release is somewhere in August.

A first simple impression is put here:
https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/6b8fb2b4-dc14-41ee-8ef6-fe929d049420

Feel free to comment it.

Regards,
Jan v.d. Poel

Wanderer
2013-03-11, 01:33 PM
A logging tool sounds interesting, and, as you say, yes, some elements are obviously not very important in the Facilities Management world.

Of course, long term tracking post-construction would provide a vast amount of data.
While valuable, I don't know many people in FM who could that would be willing to dig through it. But, of course, as our engineers and mechanics retire, there is a lot less verbal exchange of 'how did X change'.

I am trying to imagine how this would fit into a real world Facility Management workflow?
Say, I've got a building model, and one small section is being renovated. I'd have to ensure the design team was using this tool. The people modifying the models aren't going to be the same people originating it. Sure, I make smaller changes myself in-house, but, most of it is done by various companies.
Over the next 15 years, the entirety of this building will be renovated, some areas more than once.
I might filter out wall changes, as those aren't important, but, even with just the structure and the MEP systems, that's a vast volume of data. How easy is it to filter? System? Location? Date of change? Is there a visual summary available at any point?

And, does that data export out to a tracking and recording system like IBM's Maximo for CMMS?

j.vandepoel
2013-03-12, 07:03 AM
Hi Melanie,
the tool is not specifically intended for the FM market, its more to be seen as a tool for modelers and managers.
During the process of digitally building the model there are sometimes obstructions, delays or errors that may be traceable now.
The tool is designed, at this moment, to work with the central-file. (sub-)contractors use their local-file and the tool (maybe a forced policy??) and automatically the data streams in. An existing building should have no data only new parts are added and the (revit) parts in the existing building that are changed are loggen, thus limiting somewhat the amount of data.Filtering is a bit basic at this moment but could be extended if necessary.
Data export is yet not provided.
I'll handle your comment to our developers, thank you for it.

Regards,
Jan

Wanderer
2013-03-12, 02:23 PM
Hi Melanie,
the tool is not specifically intended for the FM market, its more to be seen as a tool for modelers and managers.
During the process of digitally building the model there are sometimes obstructions, delays or errors that may be traceable now.
The tool is designed, at this moment, to work with the central-file. (sub-)contractors use their local-file and the tool (maybe a forced policy??) and automatically the data streams in. An existing building should have no data only new parts are added and the (revit) parts in the existing building that are changed are loggen, thus limiting somewhat the amount of data.Filtering is a bit basic at this moment but could be extended if necessary.
Data export is yet not provided.
I'll handle your comment to our developers, thank you for it.

Regards,
Jan

Aaaah... pardon my confusion.

I'll move it from the "Facilities-Management In Practice" forum to the sandbox in that case.

Cheers!