PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Is there a way to control underlay view?

Bluefairy
2013-03-12, 08:00 PM
I only want to show the walls of the of the level that is underlayed. However everything including the doors and components are showing right now. How do I get around this?

jeffh
2013-03-12, 08:23 PM
Underlay is a take what you get type of feature. It is intended to help with layout rather than be a tool to display/represent elements. You can turn on the underlay and then use the linework tool to modify/tunr on the lines you want to see from the underlay into detail lines in the current view. You can then turn the visibility of the underlay off and the edgeds you used the linework tool on will remain. The lines will also change parmetrically to any changes made to the underlay geometry.

cliff collins
2013-03-12, 08:28 PM
I only want to show the walls of the of the level that is underlayed. However everything including the doors and components are showing right now. How do I get around this?

Another way could be to place a View on top of another view on a Sheet, and use halftone graphics overrides to make the "underlay" view softer.
This way you can control visibility of each plan separately to achieve the graphics you need.

Devin_82
2013-03-12, 11:51 PM
Another way could be to place a View on top of another view on a Sheet, and use halftone graphics overrides to make the "underlay" view softer.
This way you can control visibility of each plan separately to achieve the graphics you need.

One thing that I have found is that if you have objects in the same place in different views, you want to pay attention to the order in which you add them to the sheet. Basically, in my experience, when I bring the halftone view in second, it basically sits on top of the other view. I haven't found a way to "bring to front" or "send to back" with views on a sheet, so i usually just remove the bottom view and place it again and it sits on top. If you aren't having this issue, lucky you, I just thought it might be something worth sharing. it could also be a video card issue on my side, I don't really know.

dhurtubise
2013-03-13, 08:08 AM
You cannot control View Order with Views on Sheet Devin.
Underlay cannot be controlled through Visibility/Graphics, the only thing you can control is the graphical look of it.
Adjusting View Range might get you want you want though.

irneb
2013-03-13, 01:05 PM
Would have been nice if you could add a Filter to the level so you can omit all objects (except say walls) which are on a level "Below current". Unfortunately you can only specify a level's name in the filter - not a "smart name" like "Level Below" as you can in the View Range settings. So even going with this route means you'll neead filters for each level individually.

But definitely the double views on top of each other is the most controllable work-around. And yes I also miss the send-to-back / bring-to-front on views on a sheet. Also don't know of any other way than to delete the bottom view and place it again in order to swap which shows on top and which below.

Bluefairy
2013-03-13, 02:29 PM
Great! Thank you. I'll try it out. Both ways may have some benefits.

Bluefairy
2013-03-26, 07:37 AM
Hi! I've tried to place a view of my second floor on top of my 1st floor plan on a sheet but Revit will not allow me to place views on top of each other. Am I missing a step?

irneb
2013-03-26, 09:10 AM
... Revit will not allow me to place views on top of each other. Am I missing a step?Huh? Select the view and move it over the other one? If you've got trouble aligning them: you should be able to snap to some of the linework (e.g. grids) in each view so you can align them perfectly.

Remember any one single view is only allowed to be placed once on one sheet. If you want to place it a second time (on the same or different sheet), you need to duplicate that view (either Duplicate / Dup with Detail / As Dependant).

dhurtubise
2013-03-26, 10:34 AM
There's no draw order for views. The first one you place on the sheet is the below one and so on.

rtaube
2013-03-26, 02:05 PM
Can you create a plan view that only shows the walls (using filters), and then use that view as an underlay?

Bluefairy
2013-03-30, 07:15 PM
I finally got the second floor to overlap the 1st floor on my sheet. Not sure why it didnt work before. Thank you for all the help

Mike L Sealander
2013-03-30, 11:40 PM
The ability to control graphics of an underlay is apparently a feature in 2014.

Millawi
2013-03-31, 02:13 PM
Can you create a plan view that only shows the walls (using filters), and then use that view as an underlay?

Even better...You can isolate the walls of the underlay within the one view.

For example: by creating a filter for all categories except Walls and creating a new custom Project Parameter to be used as a Filter Rule. You can call this Project Parameter "Level", make it instance and text, check all categories, and check OK. Now you can Filter By: "Level", equals, "Ground" (for example). Apply this filter and add it to the Visibility Graphics for your First Floor and uncheck the visibility tick box. Then select all families on the Ground Level (inc/exc walls) and type "Ground" in the parameter called "Level". Now your First Floor plan should only display the walls of the Ground Floor underlay.

No need to create a separate plan view to align and realign, clutter up your browser, and use up memory.

Bluefairy
2013-03-31, 11:13 PM
Even better...You can isolate the walls of the underlay within the one view.

For example: by creating a filter for all categories except Walls and creating a new custom Project Parameter to be used as a Filter Rule. You can call this Project Parameter "Level", make it instance and text, check all categories, and check OK. Now you can Filter By: "Level", equals, "Ground" (for example). Apply this filter and add it to the Visibility Graphics for your First Floor and uncheck the visibility tick box. Then select all families on the Ground Level (inc/exc walls) and type "Ground" in the parameter called "Level". Now your First Floor plan should only display the walls of the Ground Floor underlay.

No need to create a separate plan view to align and realign, clutter up your browser, and use up memory.

Perhaps I am not understanding the function of Project Parameter and Visibility Graphics.

Millawi
2013-04-01, 12:35 AM
Perhaps I am not understanding the function of Project Parameter and Visibility Graphics.

The custom Project Parameter is simply used as a parameter which is common to all families (except walls in this case), of which there is otherwise no default parameter. 89918

We can use this parameter to identify which families we want to filter. 89919

The Visibility Graphics is where you add the filter to the view and toggle its visibility or graphic overrides. 89916