PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Documenting Curtain wall

Valkin
2013-03-16, 05:54 AM
Doing things differently then traditional methods I was wondering how people are documenting curtain walls that are being design on a curve. In the past(Autocad/hand drawing) if we had a wall that was on a curve we would draw a flattened elevation, which takes a long time to draft this information. In Revit we can create a curtain wall panel schedules to identify size of glass in a curtain wall. So i guess what I'm asking how are people out there documenting curved walls like this?

rosskirby
2013-03-16, 05:01 PM
Dimensions in plan for the layout, and in section for the horizontal dimensions. This works best if you've only got a simple grid. If you've got a more complex pattern, simply create an elevation of each segment, and place them on the sheet next to one another for a "flattened" elevation. If you really want to, you could even hide the additional elevation tags in your plan and the additional view titles in your sheet; that way it looks like a single elvation.

dhurtubise
2013-03-18, 07:28 AM
Developped elevation has always been an issue in Revit. Ross solution is the best to get it close without manually drafting.

mthurnauer
2013-03-18, 05:57 PM
I would try to avoid a painful process of trying to replicate a method used when doing 2D drawings that fights the function of the program. If you can work it out as valkin suggested would be best. If you cannot get the layout information indicated in plan and section, you may be able to provide additional clarification through the use of 3D axons with spot elevations and coordinates at key locations. You may also save yourself time by offering the curtainwall in model form as part of the documentation. I had done a project many years ago in pre BIM days where we 3D modeled a complex building skin in precast concrete, exported tons of model sections into Auto CAD to dimension them. The precaster worked with a steel form manufacturer who ended up using the 3D model to make his forms. The thousands of hours put into generating all of the 2D drawings really came down to having a piece of paper with dimensions that could be used to cross-check the forms, but otherwise was unnecessary.