PDA

View Full Version : 2013 duplicate with detailing vs. dependent

MikeJarosz
2013-04-04, 02:10 PM
Dear AUGI:

I am interested in your thoughts on sheet creation. There's more than one way, and recently I had a discussion with someone who does it differently.

I have always made sheets using duplicate with detailing. (DWD) I keep my main model clean of notation, then DWD, place the dupe view on a sheet, and do my notation there with activate view. DWD is not a dead copy. If I add a model object such as a wall in the dupe view, it appears in the main view, as there is only one place to store an object, namely, the main model. Likewise, an object added to the main model appears in the dupe view, even after it was duplicated.

Notation is a different story. Notation is mostly view dependent. By adding notation to the dupe view it stays there and I keep my main model clean. Therefore, I can do things like masking regions that stay in the dupe and don't mess up my main model.

A colleague at another firm has another way of doing things. He uses duplicate dependent. He then creates scope boxes and binds them to the dupe view. This syncs the crop region to the scope box. This dependent view is then placed on the sheet. I experimented with this technique and discovered several things. Adding a masking region to the dupe view also added it to the main model, not a desirable result. Then, I turned off color fill in the dupe, and color fill went off in the main model. Both of these things I can do using DWD, without messing up the main model.

I added a couple sheets done this way to a live project and watched what happened to them over several days. What I found is that as my team worked on the main model, the sheets were constantly changing appearance. The duplicate-view-as-dependent appears to defeat the benefits of view dependent settings. Either I missed a step in the sheet creation with dependent views, or this way of doing things is not for large projects with large drawings sets and a team of 8 banging away at the model.

Do I understand this correctly? Any thoughts?

Yours as always,

MJ

DaveP
2013-04-04, 02:48 PM
Duplicate As Dependent isd exactly what the name implies: Dependent.
Everything you do to the Main (Parent) View shows up in the Dependent. And vice versa.
(Well, almost everything. There are a few - to my mind annoying - exceptions.)
We use Dependent View a lot for creating Zones for large floor plans. They are great when you need an East Wing and a West Wing. If the entire floor plan doesn't fit on the Sheet, Dependent Views are the way to go.
The advantage of Dependent Views is that you can work in the overall plan and have faith that Room Tags, Dimensions, and Notes will show up in your Zone Views.
If you want ANYTHING different, though - Scale, Visibility, Notes - ANYTHING, you'll have to use Duplicate With Detailing. The down-side of DWD is that it's a one-time Duplicate. If you add a new Room Tag to your plan, its will NOT show up in the DWD View.

Think of Duplicate as Dependent as a live copy, and Duplicate With Detailing as a static copy. Revit being Revit, naturally, all of the modeled elements change everywhere, but the Annotation does not get updated in a DWF View.

If you want to make Zones that all show the same annotation - for example, Floor Plans of two wings - Dependent is your tool.
If you want to see different things - Floor Plans vs Finish Plans or Enlarged Plans - start off that View with DWD.

irneb
2013-04-05, 11:06 AM
Exactly as Dave does. I use dependant especially for detail layouts (most recently finishes / fittings / tiling) - mostly indicating different shades for different types of tiling. The hatch patterns of th material itself is used for setting out, so I can't simply change the hatch to indicate a different tile. And overrides don't allow shading changes. So I end up having to draw transparent regions over the "patterns" and repeating details / coloured lines to indicate stuff like different skirtings / dado / etc.

If I did it through DWD I'd have had to copy and re-copy throughout 20 to 50 views each time. Not to mention all the annotations like dims, notes, room-, door-, finish- , key-tags, etc.

My rule is: If the scale changes or the view can clearly be seen as for a different purpose, use DWD (or even simple Dup if the anno is so different as to have to be redone anyway). Else use Dependant. But yes, as Dave's also noted there are some gotcha's where you though some item would have been shown in your dependant, but isn't. :shock: