PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Multiply Schedule field values

Spork
2013-04-04, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

I have created a schedule of some parameters of a custom family that I made. Among those are Length and Width. Instead of creating a field for Area, which gives me the total surface area of my object, I just want the Width X Length. I attempted to create a Calculated Value, which was Width*Length, but I get this error: "The following is not a valid schedule field: Width", even though I selected it from the list of available fields by clicking on the box with 3 dots. Anyone come across this, or know a workaround? Does it have something to do with it being a shared parameter from the family I created?

Thanks,
JP

CADastrophe
2013-04-04, 07:21 PM
Can you post a screencap of the dialog which is producing this error and/or attach your family file here?

Spork
2013-04-04, 07:42 PM

CADastrophe
2013-04-04, 07:47 PM
The problem is that you used a "-" in the parameter name. Revit interprets that as "Width" MINUS "Shared", hence the error. You will have to use a different parameter name; either omit the "-" or use a special dash from the Character Map (such as "En Dash", alt+0150).

Spork
2013-04-04, 07:52 PM

And here's my file.

Spork
2013-04-04, 07:56 PM
The problem is that you used a "-" in the parameter name. Revit interprets that as "Width" MINUS "Shared", hence the error. You will have to use a different parameter name; either omit the "-" or use a special dash from the Character Map (such as "En Dash", alt+0150).

Ok, that's good to know. These are shared parameters, and going into the editing feature I can't seem to rename it. If I delete it and create a new one I will have to re-do all my families. Am I missing something?

CADastrophe
2013-04-04, 08:03 PM
Ok, that's good to know. These are shared parameters, and going into the editing feature I can't seem to rename it. If I delete it and create a new one I will have to re-do all my families. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, I don't think you are missing anything - you cannot simply rename a Shared Parameter. However, there may be a way I don't know of (such as a parameter add-in) so search the forums and perhaps you'll find something. Good luck!

Spork
2013-04-04, 08:06 PM
I just made a new one without the dash, it wasn't too hard to switch. It works!

I still can't get those fields to calculate totals, though.

Spork
2013-04-04, 08:07 PM
Duplicate post, sorry

CADastrophe
2013-04-04, 08:10 PM
I just made a new one without the dash, it wasn't too hard to switch. It works!

I still can't get those fields to calculate totals, though.

Do you mean displaying a total Area for that entire Field?

Spork
2013-04-05, 03:13 AM
No, a total of the Widths, or Lengths. I was able to get the Areas to total.

irneb
2013-04-05, 11:44 AM
No, a total of the Widths, or Lengths. I was able to get the Areas to total.In the schedule's properties dialog - Formatting tab: Select the Length field and turn on its "Calculate totals" check (bottom right). Do the same for Width or any others you also want to total.

CADastrophe
2013-04-05, 12:33 PM
There are two ways to refer to totals in Revit Schedules:

In the schedule's properties dialog - Formatting tab: Select the Length field and turn on its "Calculate totals" check (bottom right). Do the same for Width or any others you also want to total.

What irneb has described here is used to calculate the total value of multiple elements that are included in the same line of the schedule. So, for instance, you create a Wall Schedule sorted by Width, you will likely have multiple Walls that fit similar criteria, and thus create a blank entry in the schedule (due to multiple values). Using 'Calculate Totals' with instead will sum all of the lengths for all of the Walls that fit the same criteria.

The other means of acquiring totals is via Totals and Grand Totals on the Sorting/Grouping tab. Here, you can display totals and/or counts for entire fields of for each sorting group. Grand totals are shown entirely below the schedule, while the sub-totals create a break in the schedule following each group.

Spork
2013-04-05, 03:27 PM
In the schedule's properties dialog - Formatting tab: Select the Length field and turn on its "Calculate totals" check (bottom right). Do the same for Width or any others you also want to total.

Yes, I understand that's how it works, however, the check box for "Calculate Totals" is greyed out.

What is causing that?

CADastrophe
2013-04-05, 03:37 PM
...What is causing that?

Are you certain that your Shared Parameter was not inadvertently created as a TEXT parameter? I've accidentally done that before, myself!

Spork
2013-04-05, 09:01 PM
Yes, they are "Length" parameters.

Spork
2013-04-05, 09:06 PM
Relatedly, I had one family that I scheduled by filtering for Material: Name. I duplicated that family, changed its geometry, and loaded it back in to the project. The new family has the same material as the original one, but it doesn't show up in the schedule. What did I do wrong?

Spork
2013-04-05, 09:18 PM
Relatedly, I had one family that I scheduled by filtering for Material: Name. I duplicated that family, changed its geometry, and loaded it back in to the project. The new family has the same material as the original one, but it doesn't show up in the schedule. What did I do wrong?

Ok, I answered my own question. When I created new geometry, it lost it's material association with the "Material" parameter I set up. All I had to do was relink it.

CADastrophe
2013-04-08, 01:40 PM
Yes, I understand that's how it works, however, the check box for "Calculate Totals" is greyed out.

What is causing that?

Hmmm. Not sure at this moment. Is it giving you the same trouble with your Width or any other fields?

Spork
2013-04-08, 04:00 PM
Only these custom Shared Parameters give me this problem. All the other fields total fine.

CADastrophe
2013-04-09, 01:05 PM
Only these custom Shared Parameters give me this problem. All the other fields total fine.

Looking into the model you attached earlier in the thread, it looks like this is a Material Takeoff Schedule, which may be prevent you from doing this. Can you create a standard Quantities/Schedule and see if you can use 'Calculate Totals' with your Shared Parameters?