PDA

View Full Version : DIVIDE command

DanielleAnderson
2005-02-14, 11:25 PM
Hi,
I am just wondering if there is some way to do in Revit what the DIVIDE command does in Autocad? Example: I need to divide a space into 5 equal parts, in acad I would just type divide and it would place nodes at the locations. In Revit I am finding that I have to use my brain or calculator to figure out these distances, is there an easier way?
Thanks!
Danielle

Kroke
2005-02-14, 11:34 PM
Use drafting lines, just draw 4 lines and use the dimension tool. Make a string through those 'temp drafting lines' then press the "EQ" icon over the dim string, it will automatically space them out "EQually"

BillyGrey
2005-02-15, 12:41 AM
And if you constrain those points, they will automatically re adjust themselves if you ever stretch
the major line you are constrained too.

You can also do the same thing with elements and arrays (e.g., walls spaced equally, and perpendicular to the wall along which they are arrayed) , and those constrain and redistribute themselves real nice if you ever change the controlling width. Auto divide updating.
You can do this with grid lines, anything just about.
Kinda funny they still call that other program "Auto"-cad :)

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-02-15, 01:11 AM
Don't bother with the drafting lines if you are dealing with walls and other elements that are 'real'. Just sketch them in and drop a quick dimension string on them. As mentioned they will be constrained just by hitting EQ, even if you don't lock them.

J. Grouchy
2005-02-15, 02:45 PM
And I believe you can delete this dimension and retain the constraints...if you didn't want them in the drawings....

angus.110169
2007-06-01, 01:16 AM
What happens when you have say a wall that is made up of both staright and curved segments and you want to array items along it? Is there any way to divide it up equally?

eddy.lermytte
2007-06-01, 07:12 AM
With a little assistance of the railing tool
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=75003#post75003

charliep
2007-08-25, 07:47 AM
And what about arcs? I was trying to set up pillars that were equally spaced on an arced wall, a real struggle. A divide command would be really good for drafting.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-08-25, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately the equality trick mentioned above doesn't work as readily on an arc. (It will with walls but not with columns :?) Two methods for starters.

Creat radial ref planes and then align the columns to them. You can use the radial array tool to lay out the ref planes using the 'last' option or, once you have placed the ref planes you can apply an angular dimension with an equality constraint to space them out.

Use the radial array tool and array the columns around the arc.

charliep
2007-08-25, 11:30 AM
Thanks Dimitri, I will give that a go. I think my problem is being too used to using Autocad, when I need to do something I look for an Autocad type solution rather than a Revit type. I will need to try and switch off my Autocad brain when using Revit and vice versa when using Autocad, could end up like the man with two brains!:?

Gadget Man
2007-08-26, 05:22 AM
(...) Kinda funny they still call that other program "Auto"-cad :)

Still, I wouldn't mind actually having a simple command like "DIVIDE" - without the need to draw additional lines, planes, etc. and than dimensioning them, making equal, etc.

So much easier and quicker (and YES, more automatic!!!) would be to click "DIVIDE" button, click on the object and presto!