PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Floor & Ceiling

colnagoboy
2013-04-10, 09:06 PM
Sorry for a newbie question, but it doesn't seem to be able to eliminate the structural core either from floor or ceiling.
Does that mean that you need to overlap the structural cores when creating a floor and a ceiling right below? In other words, let's say you have a second floor consists of flooring / sheathing / floor joists. In order to draw a ceiling right below the floor, do you have to include the floor joists again, even though you had already included them when you created the floor right above?
I'd appreciate it if someone can enlighten me.

Mike L Sealander
2013-04-10, 10:49 PM
No. A Core in Revit is not a structural core. It is a distinction that determines how the object joins with another object. In walls, for instance, you might have wood studs as a core layer, and gyp board outside the core. Two of these walls will join in such a way that the core of one wall will cut through the non-core layers of another wall, allowing the cores to join. If you constructed the walls with all layers inside the core, they will join differently. So don't think of Core as a structural term. Create your ceiling with one layer (if that is what it is) and put that layer in the core.

Steve_Stafford
2013-04-10, 11:14 PM
Just to muddy the waters a bit... when a multiple layer wall, floor, ceiling or roof is created the "structural" elements (layers for them) ARE normally placed inside the core "boundaries", within the structural properties of the elements. The notion of creating a multiple layers for a wall makes more sense than for a floor where the structure might be wood joists, steel framing or concrete, all of which is likely modelled apart from an architectural model at some point during the life of the project.

If I am an architect in schematic design I might be inclined to create generic floors that include a layer for structure, finishes (above and below) as well as a volume to account for mechanical trades. The end result of such a floor in a schematic section would be a really thick zone that blocks out space for all these assumptions. As the project transitions to design development and construction documentation this singular floor will likely be replaced with separate elements, even more likely by actual element from various other models like duct, pipe and structural slab and framing.

The shorter answer is, as mentioned in the other reply, a single layer element will usually be defined "inside" the core, regardless of it being "structural" or not. Since you are asking a subtle question I might toss another one at you, the "Function" column: Finish 1 [4] is for "Exterior finishes" and Finish 2 [5] is for "interior finishes". The bracketed numbers next to each function can be thought of as the "order of construction", Structure [1] is first, then Substrates [2]...

colnagoboy
2013-04-11, 12:39 AM
Thanks Mike & Steve for concise explanations