PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Tag with Instance Parameter

Cory.Killpack
2013-04-10, 10:09 PM
Is it possible to create a annotation tag that displays an instance parameter of the tag (not the element)?

For example, in doing Keyed Notes we've been using multi-category tags that read a Shared Parameter that we've assigned as a Project Parameter to every category. This works ideally in that the tag is associated with the element (i.e. it moves with the element, it deletes with the element, etc.). Where this method becomes problematic is when the element is shown on multiple views and needs to be tagged in each with a different Keyed Note. Because the tag is pulling information from the element, that element will display the same Keyed Note number in any and every view.

In the interest of keeping things simple, I don't want to add additional Keyed Note parameters and/or types to the family in the case where an element needs to be tagged twice. Instead, it would be ideal if the multi-category tag could have it's own instance parameter that it displays. I have uploaded both my existing MC Tag as well as my attempted instance MC Tag (in Revit 2012). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Steve_Stafford
2013-04-10, 10:24 PM
When I attempted to download and open the zip file it reports corrupted, tried twice with the same result.

Guessing that you want to put something like an "S" or "M" in front of the tag value depending on what category the family is? Revit doesn't expose instance parameters for tags when they are loaded into a project so likely the answer is no. Usually it is more reliable to put the information you want to tag in the elements themselves and just use the same parameter for all of the related elements so the tag will automatically provide the necessary values.

Cory.Killpack
2013-04-15, 03:26 PM
When I attempted to download and open the zip file it reports corrupted, tried twice with the same result.
Bummer that the attached files got corrupted.. AUGI wouldn't let me upload in either Explorer or Firefox. I can't figure out another way of posting them.

Guessing that you want to put something like an "S" or "M" in front of the tag value depending on what category the family is?
What do you mean by this? Symbol and Multi-category?

Revit doesn't expose instance parameters for tags when they are loaded into a project so likely the answer is no. Usually it is more reliable to put the information you want to tag in the elements themselves and just use the same parameter for all of the related elements so the tag will automatically provide the necessary values.
Reliable yes, but problematic as I mentioned in my original post. I suppose we could create seperate parameters associated with seperate tag types, but this complicates the solution. My goal would be to have one family, one parameter.