PDA

View Full Version : Wall Voids

Clyne Curtis
2005-02-16, 12:11 AM
For some reason I am having a tough time getting a handle on creating void geometry within walls. I am trying to created the flared voids shown in the image below. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be mucho appreciatus maximus!

Thanks

Clyne

beegee
2005-02-16, 12:21 AM
Hi Clyne,

You could model the void as an in-place family. Use a void extrusion, setting the work plane as the front face of your wall, with depth to suit. Working from an elevation view, sketch the void form , then before you finish the family, tell the void to cut the wall. Finish and you're done.

You can enter sketch mode again ( via Edit ) and then copy the sketch of the void, repeating the step for the void to cut the wall, for multiple copies.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-16, 01:11 AM
You might consider wall hosted families that contain voids to remove material. It looks, from your image, like you are succeeding. What isn't working for you? The attached images are examples of void families being used to carve away wall material.

Silkie
2005-02-16, 05:52 AM
Hi Clyne,

You could model the void as an in-place family. Use a void extrusion, setting the work plane as the front face of your wall, with depth to suit. Working from an elevation view, sketch the void form , then before you finish the family, tell the void to cut the wall. Finish and you're done.

You can enter sketch mode again ( via Edit ) and then copy the sketch of the void, repeating the step for the void to cut the wall, for multiple copies.
Please excuse my ignorance but how do you 'tell the void to cut the wall' ? As usual I was having a go at something that I had not tried before, using a blend as an exercise, but could not find a way to cut the wall.

beegee
2005-02-16, 05:59 AM
Not at all.

While in sketch mode ( creating the void ), select the "Cut Geometry" button from the tool bar, then select the void , then select the wall, then finish the sketch. ( selecting wall > void works also. )

Please excuse my ignorance but how do you 'tell the void to cut the wall' ? As usual I was having a go at something that I had not tried before, using a blend as an exercise, but could not find a way to cut the wall.

Silkie
2005-02-16, 06:30 AM
Not at all.

While in sketch mode ( creating the void ), select the "Cut Geometry" button from the tool bar, then select the void , then select the wall, then finish the sketch. ( selecting wall > void works also. )
Thanks for clearing that up.
The "Cut Geometry" is greyed out in Sketch mode and you need to Finish Sketch for it to become available in the Family Editor.

beegee
2005-02-16, 07:19 AM
I was referring to the sketch mode for an in-place family void, as per my earlier post.

Yes, as you're found, it works differently for a family.

Thanks for clearing that up.
The "Cut Geometry" is greyed out in Sketch mode and you need to Finish Sketch for it to become available in the Family Editor.

zanzibarbob7
2005-02-16, 10:09 AM
BeeGee,

I too was having difficulty until your lucid, one sentence explaination saved the day. The "cut geometry" step was hanging me up.

Thanks again

Clyne Curtis
2005-02-16, 02:53 PM
Thanks BeeGee and Steve...I was also missing the "Cut Geometry" step in the process. That works like a charm!

Clyne