PDA

View Full Version : Scope Box vs Section Box

adegnan
2005-02-16, 01:46 PM
Can anyone tell me why, if you create a scope box in a plan view, you can use that box to (essentially) define your crop region in plans, elevations, etc. But in a default 3-d view then you need to create a section box? It seems that you cannot use the scope box in a default 3-d view and need to create a redundant section box.

Now, I know the purpose of a section box, if I want to use it. But if I create a scope box, why can't I apply that to a 3-d view?

If I misunderstand, someone please correct me! If I am right, then maybe I'll put it to the wish list?

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-02-16, 04:30 PM
Haven't used them much but my understanding of scope boxes is that they don't define the view, they just define the extent of the elements visible within the view. They aren't actually cutting a section just using a region to define an envelope that governs the elements visibility.

aggockel50321
2005-02-16, 04:41 PM
Seldom use them, but scope boxes are just for controlling visibility of datum lines, i.e. grid lines, ref planes, etc.

Haven't seen them used to define crop regions or control visibility of model elements. Do you have a method of doing that Abe?

Joef
2005-02-16, 05:39 PM
I've never used scope boxes either. Any expert out there care to post a "care and feeding of scope boxes" outline? As usual the Revit help doesn't help much. It says that scope boxes can be set to be visible in elevation views but fails to tell you how to do it. I figured it out but, still wonder at the fact that this program wich cost thousands of dollars comes with less printed documentation than a 50 dollar DVD player.

jbalding48677
2005-02-16, 05:54 PM
Steve posted this a while ago... It could help:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11935&highlight=scope

Joef
2005-02-16, 06:12 PM
That was fast. Thanks!

adegnan
2005-02-17, 04:41 AM
Great resource again, JB.

The bottom line answer is: A scope box cannot be used to control the extent of visibility in a 3-d view. Only in plans, sections, elevations...

A section box can control the extend of visibility in a 3-d view. This helps to make the model rotate in the 3-d view without portions of the model going beyond the range of a crop region. This is my purpose in asking for the clarification.

Thanks!

aaronrumple
2005-02-17, 02:15 PM
...one of those features mot users can do without.

luigi
2005-02-17, 02:43 PM
I have worked with Scope boxes extensively on one project, and have found it an indespensible optional feature. It saved quite a bit of time coordinated the multiple views of floor plans, elevations, sections, etc. on a project too big to fit on a 24x36 (which is our preferred size).
There are tons of scenarios where scope boxes can be very helpful.

my 2 groszy (cents in polish)

luigi
2005-02-17, 02:48 PM
Seldom use them, but scope boxes are just for controlling visibility of datum lines, i.e. grid lines, ref planes, etc.

Haven't seen them used to define crop regions or control visibility of model elements. Do you have a method of doing that Abe?Not sure if it was addressed or not, you just need to change the scope box property in the "View properties" and the crop regions will follow the 3d extents of the scope box in that view.
the control visibility of model elements isn't direct, just if those elements fall inside the extents or not.. :)

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-17, 05:46 PM
...one of those features mot users can do without.uh oh...you don't think this is a good candidate for a 3 hour lab at AU?...:shock: oh...well, back to the drawing board.:-( :)

mmodernc
2005-02-18, 12:07 AM
I have used scope boxes a couple of times - they add another management task but they may be things that you need to manage.
What I am not sure of is how they fit in with the little 2D/3D dot you get on the end of level lines etc to control extents.
3 1/2 hour seminar maybe?

bclarch
2005-02-18, 05:47 PM
I think that it would be helpful if someone from the factory explained the overall philosohpy behind these elements. The help files tell you what they are, and what their properties are, but not how the programmers envisioned them being used.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-18, 07:17 PM
I think that it would be helpful if someone from the factory explained the overall philosohpy behind these elements. The help files tell you what they are, and what their properties are, but not how the programmers envisioned them being used.I guess the pdf I wrote doesn't do as good a job as I hoped if you still feel this way? True?

bclarch
2005-02-18, 08:54 PM
I guess the pdf I wrote doesn't do as good a job as I hoped if you still feel this way? True?
Well, you're not from the factory so it doesn't count. :wink: Just kidding of course. In reality, I downloaded the PDFs but never found the time to look at them. Nice explanation and thanks for sharing.

aaronrumple
2005-02-18, 10:53 PM
eh - I understand them they just don't solve my real issues. Grids/Levels/Crop boxes can both be controlled by views and worksets with ease. Even a recent project with a main and outbuilding didn't warrant scope boxes...

What I really need is a way to control those darn elevation symbols so they aren't running all over the place...

Chad Smith
2005-03-01, 05:20 AM
I've been using scope boxes for the last 2-3 weeks and I have to say that these are awesome. I don't use them all the time, but when they are needed, they DO save a fair amount of time.

Not only do they control grid, levels etc. they can be used to define crop regions and you can even link them to callouts and the callouts change to suit the size of the scope box.

Basically, scope boxes add a form of 'graphical uniformity' to multiple views that are referencing the same area of a building.

Check 'em out if you haven't already. :D

ree.espinoza
2010-08-09, 01:41 PM
uh oh...you don't think this is a good candidate for a 3 hour lab at AU?...:shock: oh...well, back to the drawing board.:-( :)

Is there any updated discussions on the section box vs scope box using revit st 2011

Scott Womack
2010-08-09, 04:10 PM
There were no changes to either in recent history.